Shyam Sistema to launch mobile telephony in KolkataApril 22nd, 2009 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 22 (IANS) Shyam Sistema Teleservices Ltd, a joint venture between the city-based Shyam Group and Russia’s Sistema, Wednesday announced its plans to launch mobile services in Kolkata next month.
The joint venture company, in which Sistema has 74 percent holding and Shyam has the remaining 26 percent, will introduce services in other eastern states after the Kolkata launch, said Alexander Chinyaev, Sistema’s chief representative in India.
Shyam Sistema launched its mobile service in Rajasthan in October 2008 before joining hands with Mobile TeleSystems of Russia in December to offer the latter’s MTS brand in India.
“We now offer mobile service in Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan and Kerala and within six months of operations, our subscriber base has reached close to 1 million,” Chinyaev claimed.
To start with, the service provider would be offering 1 million minutes of free talk time to its subscribers in Kolkata.
“The offer would be available if you are using our network,” Chinyaev said.
Tags: 1 million, alexander, chief representative, eastern states, joining hands, joint venture company, kerala, kolkata, launch, mobile service, mobile services, mobile telephony, mobile telesystems, rajasthan, russia, service provider, six months, subscriber base, talk time, teleservices