Shyam Sistema launches CDMA services in Tamil NaduMarch 26th, 2009 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 26 (IANS) Sistema Shyam Teleservices, the joint venture between India’s Shyam group and Russian telecom major Sistema SSA, Thursday launched its CDMA mobile services in 373 towns in the Tamil Nadu circle.
With an overall investment of $5.5 billion, the company will now move to Kerala by March 30, company president Vsevolod Rozanov told reporters here.
Referring to the Russian government’s recent offer to buy about 20 percent stake in his company, Rozanov said: “We are still in discussions. The structure of the deal is still to be worked out.”
Rozanov declined to comment on whether Sistema Shyam planned to dilute its majority holding or was contemplating issuing fresh equity.
The company also plans to offer the much debated EVDO (evolution data optimised) service that allows a user to connect to the Internet faster, but which is opposed by GSM cellular operators.
The joint venture will also roll out services in West Bengal and the North East circles in the next two months, Rozanov said.
Shyam Sistema had acquired licences and spectrum to provide CDMA mobile services in 22 circles in the country last year.
- Sistema Shyam launches mobile phone services in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Mar 26, 2009
- Minimum bid price for 2G spectrum too high: SSTL - Aug 07, 2012
- Sistema Shyam to secure $200m Gazprombank loan - Dec 20, 2010
- Russia's Sistema to float public issue for Indian telecom arm - Aug 11, 2010
- Sistema Shyam to decide on IPO by year-end - Sep 06, 2010
- Russian Sistema's India unit to appoint banks for IPO - Mar 15, 2011
- Sistema Shyam expects 10 mn user base by December - Mar 25, 2010
- Sistema Shyam issues over 547 mn shares to Russian government - Mar 30, 2011
- Sistema Shyam hoping to sell IT infrastructure to IBM (Lead) - May 21, 2009
- Sistema-Shyam launches MTS in Gujarat - Dec 03, 2010
- Sistema Shyam to invest $1 bn in India - Jun 02, 2010
- MTS launches two Android phones for below Rs.5,000 - Aug 31, 2011
- Sistema Shyam launches CDMA services in Kolkata - May 21, 2009
- Government for extending 2G auction deadline to November (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Sistema Shyam's net loss narrows to Rs.528 crore - May 29, 2012