Shutdown hits life in SrinagarMay 10th, 2010 - 2:11 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 10 (IANS) Normal life was adversely affected by a shutdown called by the bar association here Monday as authorities imposed restrictions in the old city areas, officials said.
The shutdown was called by the association against what it alleged was a “collapse of judiciary, maltreatment meted out to political prisoners, and veiled attempts to change the demographic position and identity of the state”.
Both the hardline and moderate Hurriyat groups have supported Monday’s shutdown call.
Authorities have imposed restrictions under Section 144, prohibiting the gathering of more than five people, in five police station areas of Khanyar, Rainawari, S.R. Gunj, Nowhatta and Safa Kadal in the old city.
“The restrictions have been imposed only to ensure that no violence takes place in these areas,” a police officer said.
Shops, public transport, educational institutions and other business establishments remained closed here and attendance in government offices and banks was thin.
Some auto-rickshaws and private vehicles, however, plied on the uptown city roads.
Reports from other major towns of the Valley indicated life had been affected there as well because of the shutdown.
- 13 people injured in police-protester clashes in Kashmir - May 10, 2010
- Restrictions imposed in Srinagar following tension - Jun 26, 2012
- Restrictions in Srinagar after youth's death - Jun 12, 2010
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
- Separatist shutdown, official curbs mar Srinagar life - May 21, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Kashmir's Sopore, Baramulla - Jun 29, 2010
- Restrictions affect life in Srinagar on martyrs' day - Jul 13, 2011
- Bunker removal process starts in Srinagar - Oct 05, 2010
- Separatist shutdown affects life in Srinagar - May 21, 2011
- Restrictions, shutdown cripple Srinagar - Jun 21, 2010
- 10 injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Curfew in parts of Srinagar following Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Curfew imposed in several parts of Kashmir - Aug 29, 2010
- Cops, CRPF troopers stoned in Srinagar - Apr 13, 2010
- Restrictions in Srinagar over youth's death again - Jun 13, 2010
Tags: attendance, authorities, business establishments, city areas, city roads, collapse, educational institutions, government offices, gunj, hardline, judiciary, kadal, maltreatment, police officer, police station, political prisoners, private vehicles, public transport, rickshaws, station areas