Shutdown hits life in HimachalJuly 5th, 2010 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 5 (IANS) Shops were closed in many parts of Himachal Pradesh Monday and road and rail services affected as the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) workers protested the recent fuel price hike.
Road traffic was hit in Shimla, Bilaspur, Hamirpur, Una, Dharamsala, Kangra and Solan. In Shimla, schools and educational institutions were closed.
A train on the Shimla-Kalka track was also stopped as CPI-M activists protested.
“A train on the way to Kalka from Shimla was stopped at 9 a.m. in the Summer Hill area (in Shimla) for more than one-and-half hours by the activists of the CPI-M. However, there was no damage to property,” a railway official told IANS.
Cadres of the ruling BJP along with opposition parties enforced the shutdown in most districts of the state, forcing shops in most towns to down shutters.
“We have made elaborate security arrangements. There was no report of violence anywhere in the state,” Inspector General (Law and Order) S.R. Mardi told IANS.
Tikender Panwar, a state CPI-M leader, said: “Everyday a large number of people in the state commute by bus, the main mode of transport, and a hike of petrol and diesel would make the going tough for them. The central government must rollback the hike.”
The Left parties and the BJP-led NDA have called for an all-India strike against the hike in fuel prices.
The central government ended government curbs on petroleum pricing and hiked the prices of diesel, kerosene and cooking gas. The price of diesel went up by Rs.2 a litre, kerosene by Rs.3 a litre, petrol by Rs.3.50 a litre, and cooking gas by Rs.35 per cylinder.
- Shutdown hits life in Himachal, minor clashes reported (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Shutdown gets partial response in Himachal (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Petrol price rise: Shops shut across Himachal - May 31, 2012
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Petrol price hiked Rs.5 per litre; opposition, people fume (Second Lead) - May 14, 2011
- Shutdown in Tripura Monday over hiked fuel prices - Jun 25, 2011
- Left parties slam fuel price hike, threaten stir - Jun 24, 2011
- Kerala assembly begins with opposition walkout - Jun 27, 2011
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Intro Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- BJP protests petrol price hike in Madhya Pradesh - Dec 15, 2010
- Commercial establishments shut in Himachal - Sep 20, 2012
- Tepid response to shutdown in Tamil Nadu - Jul 05, 2010
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
- Ministerial panel to decide diesel price hike Dec 22 - Dec 15, 2010
- Protests across Andhra over diesel price hike - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: bilaspur, bjp, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dharamsala, educational institutions, fuel price hike, himachal pradesh, india strike, kalka, kangra, left parties, litre petrol, opposition parties, railway official, rs 2, security arrangements, shimla, solan, state inspector general