Shutdown hits commercial life in Himachal (Lead)February 28th, 2012 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 28 (IANS) Banks and commercial establishments were closed in almost all towns of Himachal Pradesh Tuesday and trade unions of central government employees also joined the nationwide strike to protest violation of labour laws and privatisation.
However, there was no report of traffic being held up due to the strike. There was also no report of violence anywhere, police officials here said.
The state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) shut offices as their employees went on a daylong strike. Employees of the Himachal Road Transport Corporation and over 30,000 ‘anganwadi’ workers also joined the daylong shutdown.
“The shutdown was complete in the state,” Jagat Ram, state president of the Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU), told IANS. CITU is affiliated to the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
The impact of the strike was more in the state capital Shimla and in the Baddi-Barotiwala-Nalagarh industrial area in Solan district and Kala Amb in Sirmaur district.
Likewise, there was a complete shutdown in Solan, Dharamsala, Kangra, Palampur, Mandi, Rampur, Kullu and Una and Hamirpur towns.
- Banks, insurance companies shut in Himachal - Feb 28, 2012
- FDI in retail: Complete shutdown in Himachal - Dec 01, 2011
- Himachal invites private funds for food processing - Jun 12, 2012
- Commercial establishments shut in Himachal - Sep 20, 2012
- Himachal's Baddi industrial area to have effluent plant - Nov 17, 2010
- 10-year moratorium must on selling land: Himachal panel - Apr 30, 2012
- Himachal develops new industrial estate in Baddi - Nov 07, 2010
- Himachal sanctions Rs.20 crore for Solan industrial belt - Jun 12, 2011
- Shutdown gets partial response in Himachal (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown hits Himachal, chief minister walks to office (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Heavy rains predicted in Himachal - Jul 08, 2012
- Himachal invites industrial investments for new estate - Jan 29, 2012
- Reliance Communications to launch 3G services in Himachal - Jan 25, 2011
- Shutdown hits commercial life in Himachal - Sep 07, 2010
- Himachal to set up 10 new industrial estates - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: baddi, bsnl, central government, commercial establishments, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dharamsala, government employees, hamirpur, himachal pradesh, himachal road transport, indian trade unions, kullu, labour laws, mandi, police officials, privatisation, sanchar nigam ltd, state president, transport corporation