‘Shiv vada-pav’ launched, to hit global markets soonNovember 24th, 2008 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 24 (IANS) Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray Monday launched Mumbai’s favourite streetfood - vada-pav - as the party’s branded “Shiv vada-pav” and promised to make it a “global” phenomenon soon.The branded vada-pav was launched at a function - ‘Vada-pav Sammelan’ (vada-pav conference) here.
The function featured a competition among 27 professional vada-pav makers from Mumbai, Thane and Baramati that could be used as the standard for the branded vada-pav to be launched at 100 outlets Jan 23 next year, said Maharashtra Vada-Pav Vikreta Sena (MVVS) president Sanjay Gurav.
International burger giant McDonald’s and soft drinks major CocaCola sponsored the function while cookery experts tested the vada-pav using various parameters like hygiene, preparation methods, quality of oil and consistency in taste.
At present, around 200,000 vada-pavs are consumed daily by hungry Mumbaikars craving for a quick, cheap and filling snack.
Easy to prepare, quick to serve, it is a type of vegetarian preparation made of mashed boiled potatoes, dipped in gramflour batter and fried. It is served in a bun with a red chilli-garlic powder, a green chutney paste and a helping of sweet tamarind chutney.
Available round-the-year, most Mumbaikars swear by the city’s own humble ‘burger’, the origins of which are considered as old as the city’s textile mills.
Thackeray, along with several celebrities, city mayor Shubha Raul, former parliament Speaker Manohar Joshi, luxury hotel chain owner Vithal Kamat, party legislators, filmstars and commoners attended the function held in Shivaji Park Monday evening.
- Shiv Sena plans to brand Mumbai's vada-pav - Nov 23, 2008
- Shiv vada-pav will be as popular as McDonald's burger: Uddhav Thackeray - Nov 25, 2008
- NGO demands 'cover up' for Shiv vada-paav stalls - Jan 10, 2012
- Slew of events to mark Bal Thackeray's 85th birthday - Jan 23, 2011
- Bal Thackeray turn 83, no celebrations by Shiv Sena - Jan 23, 2009
- Mumbai's street food politics: Youth the gainer - Jul 04, 2011
- Shiv Sena indestructible, says Bal Thackeray - Feb 14, 2012
- Mumbai, a city that never stops eating! - May 21, 2012
- Nation is directionless, says Bal Thackeray - May 01, 2011
- Mumbai youth enjoy Valentine's Day as MNS, Sena lie low - Feb 14, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee to meet Thackeray - Jul 13, 2012
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray exhorts opposition to topple government - Aug 16, 2011
- Uddhav Thackeray admitted to Lilavati after chest pain - Jul 16, 2012
- Gadkari visits Bal Thackeray in hospital - Jul 26, 2012