Shinde sets 5,653 MW target for first 100 daysJune 9th, 2009 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 9 (IANS) Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde Tuesday set a target of generating an additional 5,653 MW of electricity in the first 100 days of the new United Progressive (UPA) government, and said he will himself monitor the progress.
“The country is looking up to the sector for delivering the promise of ‘power for all’ and there is a need to accelerate the efforts,” Shinde told a review meeting attended by senior ministry officials and representatives of state-run power generation units.
The meeting also discussed the reasons for project delays, which included issues such as delays in placing orders, shortage of fuel and skilled manpower, contractual disputes and problems related to land acquisition and coal linkages.
The minister said these must be addressed at the earliest to enable the country meet the target of generating 78,700 MW of additional power during the 11th Five-Year Plan ending March 2012. India currently has an installed capacity of 148,265 MW.
“All orders for procuring equipment for future projects must be placed well in advance to avoid delays,” Shinde said.
- 260 percent power capacity added between 10th and 11th Plans - Aug 17, 2012
- Power generation to fall short of target: Shinde - Apr 07, 2010
- 80,000 MW of fresh power generation ordered: Minister - Aug 18, 2009
- N-power capacity failed to rise: Economic Survey - Mar 15, 2012
- Power minister seeks coal linkages, clearances for new plants - Jun 23, 2009
- Akhilesh writes to PM on power project delays - Aug 31, 2012
- CAG unravels Rs.14,000 crore cost overruns in hydro projects - Aug 31, 2012
- India seeks US investment in power sector - Sep 20, 2011
- 'One-third power capacity addition by private sector' - Aug 25, 2011
- India to become power surplus nation: Shinde - Jan 03, 2011
- India plans power lines via Bangladesh - Jan 02, 2011
- States should work to achieve power for all: Shinde - Nov 15, 2009
- Government taking steps to attract FDI in power sector: Shinde - May 25, 2010
- Indian power industry poised for major growth: Shinde - Jan 19, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to annul Udangudi power joint venture soon - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: acquisition, additional power, coal, contractual disputes, days of the new, electricity, generation units, India, linkages, ministry officials, New Delhi, power generation, power minister, project delays, skilled manpower, sushil kumar, sushil kumar shinde, target