Shimla to go without milk from FridayJuly 7th, 2011 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 7 (IANS) Milk retailers in this Himachal Pradesh hill station have decided not to supply packaged milk for three days from Friday to demand a hike in commission from dairy firms.
“No packaged milk and dairy products coming from Punjab will be supplied to any shop or hotel or commercial establishment for three days. This decision was taken after the milk companies refused to hike commission,” Milk Suppliers Association president Puran Chand said here.
The suppliers are demanding that their commission in the sale per milk pack of 500 ml be hiked from 25 paise to Re.1.
The vendors had stalled milk supply for two days in May over the same demand.
The town’s daily consumption of milk is around 50,000 litres, most of which is supplied by Punjab’s milk cooperative Milkfed.
The cooperative supplies milk and dairy products like butter, ghee, paneer and curd under the brand name Verka.
S.K. Tuteja, Milkfed’s regional sales manager in its Mohali plant in Punjab, told IANS over the phone that the company is planning to hike the suppliers’ commission next month when a new contract will be signed with Shimla’s main distributor.
“Certain private companies are just trying to capture the market by offering more discounts,” he added.
Shimla, fondly known as the queen of hills, supports more than 200,000 people. According to tourism industry representatives, Shimla receives around 50,000 tourists every weekend.
- Shimla goes without packaged milk - May 20, 2011
- Milkfed lacks money to fight patent battle with NRI firm - Nov 07, 2010
- Government offers assistance to Delhi Milk Scheme - May 02, 2012
- Milkfed Punjab yet to recover its Gulf exports - Oct 30, 2010
- Taj city goes without milk - Mar 23, 2012
- UP to ask NID to design packs for milk products - Mar 27, 2012
- Milkfed targets 200,000 boxes of sweets this Diwali - Oct 28, 2010
- Rs.200 mn-worth 'desi ghee' order to Milkfed for SGPC gurdwaras - Jul 12, 2009
- Seven child labourers rescued from Rajasthan milk plant - May 25, 2012
- Maharashtra welcomes lifting of ban on milk powder exports - Jun 02, 2012
- SC notice to government on supply of adulterated milk - May 09, 2012
- Rajasthan dairy official suspended - May 25, 2012
- Punjab may have venture with New Zealand's dairy giant - May 23, 2010
- Lassi becomes money spinner for Punjab milk cooperative - Jun 23, 2009
- Dairy giant buys Indian pharmaceutical firm - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: association president, brand name, butter ghee, chand, commercial establishment, consumption, curd, himachal pradesh, milk and dairy products, milk suppliers, milk supply, milkfed, new contract, paise, paneer, private companies, puran, regional sales manager, suppliers association, tourism industry representatives