Sharapova and WTA reach a compromise over photo shoot scheduleMay 14th, 2008 - 3:29 pm ICT by admin
New York, May 14 (ANI): Tennis superstar Maria Sharapova has reached a compromise with the World Tennis Association (WTA) over a photo shoot she previously refused to participate in.
The Russian tennis ace and the worlds most photographed sportswoman has originally declined to take part in the shoot because she didn’t want any distractions before the Italian Open that began on Monday.
Sharapova claimed that the organisation had threatened to fine her more than 300,000 dollars if she refused.
As part of the two parties’ new arrangement, the May 11 shoot to promote the tour championships was reduced from several hours to just 90 minutes, according to Sharapova.
“I was riding around in a car for an hour talking - pretending like I’m talking on the phone. The timing compromise was still pretty difficult since it’s before a very big event for all of us. Considering the time reduction, it definitely makes that a lot easier than going into a four- or five-hour shoot with hair and makeup, which adds another hour,” she said.
Sharapova launched a protest on her personal website last month, asking for the opinions of her fans.
Earlier, a fuming Sharapova was seriously considering the option of legal action against the Womens Tennis Association (WTA) for being forced into doing a promotional photo shoot on the eve of the Italian Open in Rome.
She believed that she was just given a fortnights warning about the photo call that could take up to five hours of her time and that of Serena Williams, Justine Henin, Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic on the eve of the Italian Open. (ANI)
- Fuming Sharapova considering legal action against WTA - May 06, 2008
- 'Stosur can hit the ball very heavy, more like a man', says Justine Henin - Jan 07, 2011
- Ten women champions at French Open - Jun 10, 2012
- Bookies favour Stosur to lift French Open crown - Jun 03, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Venus Williams pulls out of China Open due to knee injury - Oct 02, 2010
- Oudin beats Jankovic in AEGON Classic final - Jun 18, 2012
- US Open: Radwanska, Kerber, Venus ease into second round (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Clijsters upsets Ivanovic at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
- Sharapova ousts Lisicki for Clijsters quarterfinal - Aug 02, 2012
- Jankovic tips Stosur to lift French Open crown - Jun 04, 2010
Tags: ana ivanovic, compromise, distractions, eve, italian open, jelena jankovic, justine henin, makeup, maria sharapova, photo shoot, rome, serena williams, sportswoman, tennis ace, tennis superstar, time reduction, tour championships, womens tennis association, world tennis association, wta