Sewage lines to be repaired in east DelhiJanuary 6th, 2011 - 1:00 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 5 (IANS) The Delhi Jal Board (DJB) has decided to repair all sewer lines in east Delhi after leaking sewers were found to be a key factor behind a building collapse in the area that killed 70 people in November last year.A Delhi government statement said Wednesday that in view of similar problems in other east Delhi areas, it was decided that the DJB would prepare a rehabilitation plan for sewer lines in the entire trans-Yamuna area during the 12th Five Year Plan.
The decision was taken after Urban Development Minister A.K. Walia inspected the area.
The DJB will be rehabilitating a one-kilometre stretch of a trunk sewer under Vikas Marg at an estimated cost of Rs.10 crore. This will also include laying a parallel sewer line on this section.
A building collapsed in the Lalita Park area of Lakshmi Nagar in east Delhi November last year after its foundation became weak due to a leak from a sewage line. Seventy people were killed.
- Vikas Marg sewer line improvement to cost Delhi Govt. Rs.10 crore - Jan 05, 2011
- Nod to Yamuna Action Plan's third phase for Delhi - Dec 01, 2011
- Lack of safety gear killing Delhi's sewer workers (Capital Focus) - Jun 24, 2012
- Need for solution to end water accumalation in residential areas: Walia - Nov 24, 2010
- Ensure adequate drinking water supplies: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 13, 2012
- Blame game begins over Delhi Zoo blackbucks' deaths - Sep 28, 2010
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011
- Two die from toxic fumes at Delhi sewage plant (lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Delhi minister denies building owner's claim - Nov 17, 2010
- Delhi Jal Board gets notice over contaminated supply - Aug 02, 2011
- Minister fears repeat of Delhi building collapse - Nov 24, 2010
- Yamuna not cleaned despite action plan, admits government - Jul 13, 2009
- Delhi Jal Board water contaminated with human feces - Mar 10, 2011
- Delhi thirsty for water, crisis to deepen - Jun 21, 2012
- Delhi's own Venice? It's sewage and stinks - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: building collapse, delhi government, delhi jal board djb, development minister, east delhi, government statement, jal, kilometre stretch, marg, New Delhi, rehabilitation plan, sewage line, sewage lines, sewer line, sewer lines, sewers, urban development, walia