Seven die as military plane crashes into building in Ecuador capitalMarch 20th, 2009 - 12:06 pm ICT by IANS
Quito, March 20 (DPA) Seven people were killed when a military aircraft crashed into an apartment building in thick fog and exploded in the capital of Ecuador.
All five people on board the eight-seat propeller Beechcraft plane and two people on the ground died in Thursday night’s crash in northern Quito, authorities said. Four people were injured, one seriously.
The plane was flying low as it prepared to land in Quito and grazed a tree before it flew into the building, witnesses said.
It was on a training flight from Manta on Ecuador’s central coast and was carrying three military personnel and the wife and 12-year-old son of the pilot, the Defence Ministry said.
One of the dead on the ground was identified as a 60-year-old woman who lived in one of the apartments hit by the plane.
Authorities said they planned to sweep the area for more victims Friday as the search was suspended overnight for lack of visibility.
The neighbourhood where the crash took place has now seen four crashes in the past 27 years, causing 30 deaths. A 1988 crash killed the air force commander and a 1992 accident killed then tourism minister Pedro Zambrano.
President Rafael Correa and Defence Minister Javier Ponce visited the crash site Thursday night.
- Military plane crashes in Ecuador's capital - Mar 20, 2009
- Four die in Ecuador gold mine blast - Feb 24, 2012
- Ecuador expects China to fully finance refinery - Apr 23, 2012
- Ecuador yet to decide on Wikileaks founder's asylum - Aug 15, 2012
- Julian Assange's mom in Ecuador to seek son's asylum - Jul 29, 2012
- Small passenger plane crashes during bad weather in Nepal, killing 16 - Sep 25, 2011
- List of air crashes in residential areas - May 26, 2011
- South America backs Ecuador's asylum offer to Assange - Aug 20, 2012
- Ecuador seeks to hedge oil prices against drop - Jul 04, 2011
- US dismantling Ecuador base for move to Colombia - Jul 18, 2009
- Four killed in US plane crash - Apr 23, 2011
- Ecuador, Colombia unfreeze relations - Feb 12, 2010
- Five die in California small plane crash - Mar 17, 2011
- 17 dead, 40 hurt in Ecuador accident - Apr 14, 2011
- Ecuador in talks to buy South African warplanes - Sep 26, 2009
Tags: air force commander, apartment building, capital of ecuador, capital quito, crash site, defence minister, defence ministry, ecuador capital, manta, military aircraft, military plane, plane crashes into building, president rafael correa, propeller, rafael correa, s central, thick fog, tourism minister, training flight, zambrano