Sensex zooms 439 points on US stimulus, diesel price hike (Lead)September 14th, 2012 - 4:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 14 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets surged 439 points late Thursday afternoon following a worldwide rally after the US Federal Reserve announced a new stimulus plan to revive growth in the world’s largest economy.
The government’s decision to hike diesel price and cut subsidies for cooking gas also helped stocks move up. Realty, metal and banking scrips were the best performers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,284.75 points, was ruling at 18,459.94 points, 438.78 points or 2.43 percent up from its previous day’s close at 18,021.16 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 18,480.25 and a low of 18,284.75 points in intra-day trade. The BSE midcap index was up 72.80 points while the smallcap index was 48.25 points high.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was also ruling 2.58 percent up at 5,575.50 points.
On the sectoral front, the BSE realty index was up 73.30 points while metal index was up 425.63 points and banking index was up 481.23 points.
Jindal Steel was the biggest Sensex gainer and was trading high 8.76 percent at Rs.372.
Other major gainers were Hindalco Inds, up 7.54 percent at Rs.117.60; ICICI Bank, up 5.50 percent at Rs.1,011.45; SBI, up 5.44 percent at Rs.1,969.10; and Sterlite Inds, up 5.41 percent at Rs.99.45.
There were only five Sensex losers — Dr Reddy’s Lab, down 0.80 percent at Rs.1,759.90; ITC, down 0.69 percent at Rs.267.85; TCS, down 0.52 percent at Rs.1,408; NTPC, down 0.26 percent at Rs.170.40; and Cipla, down 0.14 percent at Rs.369.05.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei closed up 1.83 percent while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 2.90 percent higher. Shanghai’s composite index closed up 0.64 percent.
The European markets were trading in green too. France’s CAC was up 1.90 percent, while Germany’s DAX was up 1.34 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was trading 1.38 percent higher.
- Sensex zooms on US stimulus, diesel price hike - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex jumps 443 points on US stimulus, diesel price hike (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 417 points higher, Jindal Steel biggest gainer (Second Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 31 points; oil and gas, PSU stocks up - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex down 168 points - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex down 31.93 points (Lead, correcting figures in Paras 1 and 2) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 55 points down, realty, banking stocks lower (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex closes in red, consumer durable, realty stocks down (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, cipla, composite index, diesel price hike, dr reddy, european markets, ftse 100, inds, metal index, midcap index, national stock exchange, ntpc, rs 1, scrips, sensitive index, smallcap index, sterlite, worldwide rally