Sensex zooms 324 points, Tata Steel biggest gainerSeptember 7th, 2012 - 2:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 7 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was trading 324 points higher in afternoon trade Friday in a global rally after the European Central Bank announced announced a new bond buying programme.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,575.79 points, was ruling at 17,670.67 points, 1.87 percent or 324.40 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,346.27 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,675.76 points and a low of 17.575.79 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 1.79 percent up at 5,332.10 points.
Overnight, US stocks had hit a four-and-a-half-year high after the ECB said there will be no limits to the purchases of government bonds with maturities of one to three years.
The programme is aimed at keeping the short-term borrowing rates of countries like Italy and Spain at manageable levels, giving them time to enact debt reduction measures and economic reforms.
Asian stock markets rallied during the day. Japan’s Nikkei was up 2.20 percent while Shanghai’s composite index was trading 3.70 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was up 2.84 percent.
European markets opened higher. France’s CAC was up 1.04 percent and so was Germany’s DAX, up by 0.55 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was trading 0.07 percent higher.
On the sectoral front, the BSE metal index was up 212.87 points, realty index was up 31.77 points and the capital goods index was up 190.52 points.
All the 30 scrips were gainers with Tata Steel being the biggest Sensex gainer and was trading 4.71 percent higher at Rs.367.15.
The other major gainers were ICICI Bank, up 4.20 percent at Rs.933.50; Tata Motors, up 3.93 percent at Rs.242.20; RIL, up 3.17 percent at Rs.791.70; and Hindalco Inds, up 2.56 percent at Rs.104.30.
- Sensex soars 314 points, Tata Steel stocks gain (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex closes 338 points high, Tata Steel stock soars (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex closes 337 points higher on ECB bond buying plan (Roundup) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex rises 104 points, consumer durable, IT stocks up - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex closes in red, consumer durable, realty stocks down (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 66 points high (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex up 76.94 points (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Sensex rises 40 points; metal, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 04, 2012
- Sensex gains 75 points, FMCG, banking stocks rise (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex down 31.93 points (Lead, correcting figures in Paras 1 and 2) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex holds on to gains, but slips from 18,000 - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, asian stock markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, ftse 100, government bonds, hindalco, inds, manageable levels, metal index, national stock exchange, new bond, points realty, reduction measures, ril, scrips, sensitive index, tata motors, tata steel