Sensex up for the third day, rises 38 pointsAugust 1st, 2012 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 1 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets rose for the third day Wednesday and was trading around 38 points up in afternoon trade.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,244.44 points, was ruling at 17,274.12 points, 0.22 percent or 37.94 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,236.18 points.
The BSE realty index was up 21.96 points, followed by capital goods, up 98.68 points and health care, up 68.63 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.28 percent up at 5,243.40 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Cipla, up 4.56 percent at Rs.354; BHEL, up 1.81 percent at Rs.219.60; SBI, up 1.81 percent at Rs.2,041.55; HDFC, up 1.50 percent at Rs.701; and Tata Power, up 1.38 percent at Rs.99.40.
The main losers were Coal India, down 3.37 percent at Rs.347.20; Hero MotoCorp, down 1.28 percent at Rs.1,980; Bharti Airtel, down 1.03 percent at Rs.297.05; Maruti Suzuki, down 0.98 percent at Rs.1,122; and ONGC, down 0.82 percent at Rs.283.45.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was down 0.61 percent while Shanghai’s composite index ruled 0.94 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was also up 0.09 percent.
Overnight, American and European markets closed lower.
- Sensex closes flat (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex closes 21 points up (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex down 108 points, bank, capital goods stocks fall - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 116 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex gains 66 points in special trading - Sep 08, 2012
- Sensex rises 66 points; metal, IT stocks up (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex down 31.93 points (Lead, correcting figures in Paras 1 and 2) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 35 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Sensex ends 38 points down; Bharti Airtel drops 3.85 percent (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex slumps 110 points; IT, metal stocks down (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- IT stocks drag Sensex 138 points lower (Roundup) - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, asian markets, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bhel, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, coal india, composite index, european markets, hang seng, hdfc, national stock exchange, ongc, rs 1, rs 2, sbi, sensitive index, tata power, third day