Sensex up 71 points in afternoon tradeMay 2nd, 2012 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 2 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets was trading 70.90 points higher in the afternoon session Wednesday, led by good buying support for consumer durables, bank and information technology (IT) stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the positive at 17,370.93 points, was ruling at 17,389.71 points around noon, up 0.41 percent or 70.90 points from its previous close at 17,318.81 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,432.33 points and low of 17,367 points in the intra-day trade. The Sensex midcap was up 28.09 points and the smallcap grew by 46.47 points.
The broad-based 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was trading 0.35 percent or 18.50 points up at 5,266.65 points.
The consumer durables’ sectoral index was up 119.49 points and the banks’ index gained 99.72 points, followed by the metals index which increased by 53.28 points and the IT index, which was up 50.87 points.
Prominent Sensex gainers were FMCG major Hindustan Unilever, up 2.73 percent at Rs.427.70; Jindal Steel, up 1.93 percent at Rs.512.40; Bharti Airtel, up 1.85 percent at Rs.316.50; DLF, up 1.71 percent at Rs.190.10 and TCS, up 1.61 percent at Rs.1,265.
Major Sensex losers included Tatat Motors, down 2.08 percent at Rs.310.15; Maruti Suzuki, down 1.51 percent at Rs.1,349.25; ONGC, down 1.11 percent at Rs.266.70; and Coal India, down 0.94 percent at Rs.349.25.
- Sensex rises 52 points, health care, consumer durables up - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; consumer durable, realty stocks up - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 40 points; metal, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 04, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; metal, healthcare stocks gain (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 35 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex rises 22 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes at 34 points (Roundup) - Apr 18, 2012
- Sensex gains 66 points in special trading - Sep 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 24 points up - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex down 108 points, bank, capital goods stocks fall - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 22 points down (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: afternoon session, afternoon trade, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, bse, coal india, consumer durables, dlf, gainers, hindustan, metals index, midcap, national stock exchange, ongc, rs 1, sensitive index, smallcap, tcs, unilever