Sensex up 421 points, metals, capital goods gain (Roundup)January 3rd, 2012 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 3 (IANS) All-round buying helped a benchmark index of Indian equities market rally over 421 points higher Tuesday. Positive cues from Asian markets too helped.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 15,640.56 points, closed at 15,939.36 points, 421.44 points or 2.72 percent up, from its previous close at 15,517.92 points.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also ended in the green at 4,765.3 points, up 2.77 percent or 128.55 points from its previous close.
Broader markets also gained, with the BSE 500 index closing 2.71 percent higher. The BSE midcap index rose 2.42 percent while the BSE smallcap index ended 2.33 percent higher.
All the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE closed in the green. The metals index gained 5.5 percent, while the capital goods index rose 4.4 percent and the banking index 4.35 percent.
The market breadth was positive with 2,019 stocks advancing, compared to 740 on the decline. Another 109 remained unchanged.
Prominent gainers on the 30-scrip Sensex included DLF, up 6.84 percent at Rs.191.40; Tata Steel, up 6.06 percent at Rs.361.20; Tata Motors, up 5.5 percent at Rs.193.90; L&T;, up 5.04 percent at Rs.1,059.55 and SBI, up 4.72 percent at Rs.1,706.50.
There were only two losers: M&M;, down 1.09 percent at Rs.666.50 and Hero MotoCorp, which slipped marginally.
According to data available with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), foreign institutional investors sold stocks worth $7.33 million Tuesday.
Important markets in Asia were closed on account of holidays. But the ones which traded rallied after latest data showed better than expected manufacturing growth in China.
Hong Kong’s Hang Seng moved up 2.4 percent to close at 18,812.69 points, while the South Korean Kospi rose 2.69 percent to end at 1,875.41 points.
Most European markets rose on the positive cues from their Asian peers.
Britain’s FTSE 100 was ruling 0.99 percent up at 5,627.21 points, while the German DAX was trading 1.17 percent higher at 6,146.76 points.
However, the French CAC 40 was ruling 0.44 percent lower at 3,198.07 points.
- Sensex closes 204 points down amid negative global cues (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2011
- Sensex closes 111.32 points higher, auto stocks rally - Apr 19, 2012
- Sensex rises 37 points; power, FMCG stocks up - Jun 28, 2012
- Backed by global cues, Sensex closes 276 points higher (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2012
- Asian cues help Sensex rise 245 points in noon trade - Jan 17, 2012
- Infosys results help Sensex close 421 points higher - Oct 12, 2011
- Sensex 117 points up, snaps out of four-day losing spree (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2011
- Sensex closes 56 points up on interest rate cut hopes (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Sensex tanks 281 points (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sensex up for the third day, rises 38 points - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex snaps out of three-day losing streak (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- Sensex dips moderately after two-day rise (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2012
- Sensex ends 72 points down; metal, consumer durable stocks fall (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 180 points higher (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Sensex plunges 277 points on weak global cues (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, china hong kong, european markets, exchange board, foreign institutional investors, kospi, market breadth, market rally, metals index, national stock exchange, sectoral indices, securities and exchange board of india, sensitive index, smallcap index, tata motors, tata steel