Sensex up 225.14 points, oil and gas stocks soarAugust 6th, 2012 - 1:21 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 6 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was trading 225.14 points up around 11.30 a.m. Monday, as there was good buying spree in oil and gas, bank, capital goods and auto stocks as well as strong global cues after reports of a surge in US hiring.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,313.05 points, was ruling at 17,423.07 points, 1.31 percent or 225.14 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,197.93 points.
Sensex touched a high of 17,448.42 points and a low of 17,313.05 points. BSE midcap was up 68.60 points and small cap was up 89.85 points.
The BSE oil and gas index was up 213.25 points, followed by bank index, up 175.39 points, capital goods, up 161.04 points and auto index up 150.52 point.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 1.28 percent or 66.65 points up at 5,282.35 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Reliance Industries, up 4.62 percent at Rs.777.25; Tata Motors, up 3.30 percent at Rs.2282.0; Tata Steel, up 2.42 percent at Rs.406.55; Larsen and Toubro (L&T;), up 2.12 percent at Rs.1,411.50 and Sterlite Inds, up 1.86 percent at Rs.103.95.
Only five of the 30-scrip sensitive Sensex were main losers — Dr Reddys Lab, down 0.66 percent at Rs.1,661; Tata Consultation Services (TCS), down 0.58 percent at Rs.1,230.70; Coal India, down 0.49 percent at Rs.342.25, Hindustan Uniliver, down 0.22 percent at Rs.466.10 and ITC 0.13 percent at Rs.259.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was up 2.11 percent while Shanghai’s composite index was 0.73 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was up 1.91 percent.
- Sensex rises 196 points, oil and gas, auto stocks up (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 193 points up (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex rallies 215 points on global cues (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 128 points down, BHEL, ICICI Bank shares hit (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex ends 56 points down ahead of F&O; expiry (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; SBI down over 4 percent (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex jumps 304 points ahead of RBI policy review (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Sensex closes 33 points higher on strong global cues (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: auto index, auto stocks, bank index, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, coal india, consultation services, dr reddys lab, gas index, gas stocks, larsen and toubro, national stock exchange, reliance industries, sensex, sensitive index, sterlite, tata motors, tata steel, uniliver