Sensex up 222.60 points in noon tradeMay 24th, 2012 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 24 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was trading 222.60 points higher around 12.30 p.m. Thursday on a healthy buying spree in bank, oil and gas and metals stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was ruling at 16,170.70 points, up by 222.60 points or 1.40 percent from its previous close of 15,948.10 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,172.16 points and a low of 15,934.77 points in the intra-day trade. The Sensex midcap was up by 30.38 points but smallcap was up 34.83 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) was up 62.60 points in the period under review at 4,898.25 points.
The BSE bank index was higher by 202.78 points, followed by the metals index by 135.69 points and the capital goods index by 85.86 points.
Stocks of oil marketing companies rallied following a base hike of Rs.6.28 in petrol prices. The move is expected to reduce the subsidy burden on the government and improve the companies’ earnings prospects.
The oil and gas index was up by 152.16 points. The scrip of Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) was up by 2.30 points at Rs.275.75, stocks of Hindustan Petroleum Corporation (HPCL) increased by 2.50 points at Rs.311.80 and the Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) scrip was up by 11.60 points at Rs.733.50 points.
Sensex gainers included ONGC, up by 10.30 points at Rs.253.30; HDFC, up 21.65 points at Rs.656.40; Hindalco Inds, up 3.35 points at Rs.110.80; HDFC Bank, up 14 points at Rs.501 and Jindal Steel, up 11.25 points at Rs.464.20.
Major Sensex losers included Maruti Suzuki, down by 9.25 points at Rs.1,142; Tata Power, down 0.30 points at Rs.88.35; Sun Pharma, down 1.85 points at Rs.569.50; Hindustan Uniliver, down 1.10 points at Rs.424.55 and TCS, down 1.10 points at Rs.1,224.45.
- Sensex marginally down at 16,878 points - May 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 35 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex rebounds 274 points as rupee recovers (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex rises over 100 points, oil and gas, banking stocks up (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex slides 188.12 points, oil and gas, capital goods stocks down (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 214 points up (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sensex up marginally; bank, healthcare stocks gain - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 67 points down as bearish mood prevails (Roundup) - May 09, 2012
- Sensex closes flat (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex falls 57 points, metal consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points up, realty, oil and gas stocks rise (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex up 222 points, bank, auto and IT stocks rally (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: bank index, benchmark index, bharat petroleum, bharat petroleum corporation, bombay stock exchange, bpcl, gas index, hindustan petroleum, indian oil, indian oil corporation, jindal, maruti suzuki, metals index, national stock exchange, petrol prices, sensex, sensitive index, sun pharma, tata power, uniliver