Sensex up 166 points; auto, bank, IT stocks soarAugust 7th, 2012 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 7 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was trading 166 points up around 1.30 p.m. Tuesday, on good buying in auto, bank, information technology (IT) and metals stocks.
The markets were also buoyed by the reassurance given by Finance Minister P. Chidambaram Monday that the government will do everything to maintain the investment attractiveness of the country. There were also strong global cues after reports of a surge in US hiring.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,456.37 points, was ruling at 17,579.18 points, 0.95 percent or 166.22 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,412.96 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,584.54 points and a low of 17,417.92 points. BSE midcap was up 33.83 points and small cap was up 33.26 points.
The BSE auto index was up 143.64 points, followed by bank index, up 128.27 points, IT, up 79.14 points and metal index up 78.31 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 1.01 percent or 53.45 points up at 5,336.00 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Tata Motors, up 4.07 percent at Rs.237.95; Bajaj Auto, up 2.57 percent at Rs.1,675; Jindal Steel, up 2.05 percent at Rs.408.00; State Bank of India (SBI), up 2.02 percent at Rs.2,059.00 and TCS, up 1.88 percent at Rs.1,252.55.
Only one of the 30-scrip sensitive Sensex was in the red — Hero MotoCorp, which was down 1.33 percent at Rs.1,953.40.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was up 0.88 percent while Shanghai’s composite index was 0.13 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was up 0.26 percent.
- Sensex up 222 points, bank, auto and IT stocks rally (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Sensex down 31.93 points (Lead, correcting figures in Paras 1 and 2) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex trades flat after early gains (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 52 points health care, FMCG stocks up (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex down 127 points, IT stocks hit (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; metal, healthcare stocks gain (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex crosses 18,000 points on positive European cues (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sensex up 17.31 points in afternoon trade (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 160 points down on low GDP report (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Choppy trading at Indian equities after outlook downgrade - Apr 26, 2012
- Sensex surges 117 points, metal, IT stocks up (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: asian markets, auto bank, auto index, bank index, bank information, bank of india, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, composite index, finance minister, investment attractiveness, metal index, midcap, national stock exchange, p chidambaram, rs 2, sbi, sensitive index, state bank of india, tata motors