Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cuesAugust 23rd, 2012 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 23 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was trading around 100 points higher in afternoon trade Thursday on firm Asian cues and good buying in IT and metal stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,856.29 points, was ruling at 17,946.58 points, 0.56 percent or 99.72 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,846.86 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,972.54 points and a low of 17,856.29 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.51 percent up at 5,440.70 points.
The BSE IT index was up 94.92 points followed by the metal index, up 146.41 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Wipro, up 3.08 percent at Rs.365.10, Tata Steel, up 2.37 percent at Rs.401.90, TCS, up 2.01 percent at Rs.1,318, Jindal Steel, up 1.73 percent at Rs.410.60; and Tata Power, up 1.67 percent at Rs.100.35.
The main Sensex losers were ONGC, down 1.14 percent at Rs.282.90, Larsen and Toubro, down 0.74 percent at Rs.1,446, Mahindra and Mahindra, down 0.61 percent at Rs.779, Tata Motors, down 0.50 percent at Rs.246.65; and Bajaj Auto, down 0.45 percent at Rs.1,717.95.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was up 0.51 percent while Shanghai’s composite index was trading 0.25 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was up 1.13 percent.
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 37 points, oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points; auto, metal stocks up (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 74 points down, realty, oil & gas stocks slump - Sep 03, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 111 points, auto and banking stocks up - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex tanks 223 points, Infosys down 9 percent - Jul 12, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex remains choppy; ICICI Bank, M&M; rally - Apr 27, 2012
- India's Sensex down after previous rallies (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, asian markets, bajaj, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, composite index, cues, gainers, hang seng, larsen and toubro, mahindra and mahindra, metal index, metal stocks, national stock exchange, rs 1, sensitive index, tata motors, tata power, tata steel