Sensex under selling pressure, down 149 points (Lead)June 4th, 2009 - 2:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 4 (IANS) Continued selling in blue-chip stocks sent a key index of the Indian equity markets tumbling 149 points around Thursday noon.
The benchmark index of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), the Sensex, which opened at 14,755.08 points, lower than Wednesday’s close, was ruling at 14,721.82 points aroubd this time, 149.08 points or 1 percent lower than its last close.
The S&P CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) too lost ground, moving down 0.94 percent to rule at 4,487.90 points around the same time.
Broader market indices were outperforming the market, suggesting buying interest in lesser scrips.
The BSE midcap index was ruling 0.65 percent higher than its previous close, while the BSE smallcap index was up 0.71 percent.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE, those for metal and oil stocks were under pressure, while FMCG, healthcare and PSU stocks were on the gaining side.
The market breadth was positive, with 1,584 stocks advancing, 1,008 declining and 60 remaining unchanged.
Among gainers on the Sensex at this time were Ranbaxy, up 4.24 percent at Rs.277.70; Hindustan Unilever, up 3.09 percent at Rs.247.10; Reliance Communications, up 2.28 percent at Rs.340.50; and ITC, up 1.77 percent at Rs.206.60.
Of the losers on the Sensex at this time were Sterlite, down 6.15 percent at Rs.659.60; Tata Steel, down 4.1 percent at Rs.467.90; Hindalco, down 4.08 percent at Rs.89.35; and Tata Power, down 3.16 percent at Rs.1,019.70.
Other Asian markets were trading mixed, with a key index of the Tokyo stock exchange, Nikkei 225 Stock Average, falling 72.71 points from its last close in the red at 9,668.96 points.
On the other hand, the Hang Seng, a primary index of the Hong Kong stock exchange, was 309.57 points up at 18,266.9 points.
Major US stock indices declined Wednesday for the first time in five days ahead of a monthly jobs report, a drop in oil prices and poor earnings forecasts from the energy sector.
Just days before the US Labour Department is set to release monthly unemployment figures, private firm Automatic Data Processing estimated that Americans firms slashed 532,000 jobs in May.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 65.63 points, or 0.75 percent, to 8,675.24, while the broader Standard and Poor’s 500 Index was down 12.98 points, or 1.37 percent, to 931.76.
The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index fell 10.88 points, or 0.59 percent, to 1,825.92 points.
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex up 106.32 points; FMCG, oil stocks surge - Jun 19, 2012
- Sensex continues to trade lacklustre, RIL soars (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 31 points down (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex down 31.93 points (Lead, correcting figures in Paras 1 and 2) - Jul 02, 2012
- Infosys results help Sensex close 421 points higher - Oct 12, 2011
- Sensex rises, capital goods, metal and IT stocks buying picks up - May 15, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex tanks 223 points, Infosys down 9 percent - Jul 12, 2012
- Sensex closes 47 points down, metal, capital goods stocks slump (Roundup) - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex, Nifty close in red on poor GDP numbers (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex slumps 126 points on weak global cues (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: blue chip stocks, bombay stock exchange, earnings forecasts, hindalco, hong kong stock, hong kong stock exchange, indian equity markets, kong stock exchange, market breadth, midcap index, national stock exchange, nikkei 225, oil stocks, poor earnings, psu stocks, sectoral indices, smallcap index, tata power, tata steel, tokyo stock exchange