Sensex turns volatile; realty, oil, gas stocks fallMarch 22nd, 2012 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 22 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian markets was witnessing volatile trading in Thursday’s afternoon session amid a rise in oil prices and a sharp drop in the value of the rupee.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the negative at 17,586.06 points, was trading at 17,549.61 points in the afternoon session, down 0.30 percent or 52.10 points from its previous close at 17,601.71 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,687.01 points and low of 17,509.42 points in the intra-day.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was also range-bound. After trading in the positive in the morning session, Nifty was ruling 0.39 percent down at 5,344.20 points.
There was heavy selling pressure in realty, oil and gas and metal stocks.
The BSE realty index was down 1.30 percent. The oil and gas index was ruling 0.98 percent down the metal index was trading 0.57 percent lower.
- Sensex slumps 405 points on weakening rupee (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sensex closes in red; oil and gas, realty stocks slump - Jan 05, 2012
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex falls 100 points on weak Asian cues - Apr 04, 2012
- Sensex in red in afternoon trade, consumer durables slip - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex drops 100 points; ONGC, Bajaj Auto slump - Aug 29, 2012
- Sensex rises 0.12 percent in a choppy session - Dec 28, 2010
- Sensex falls 58 points; IT, metal stocks slump - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex ends flat in a choppy session (lead) - Dec 28, 2010
- Sensex falls 1.5 percent; metal, realty stocks slump - Mar 05, 2012
- Sensex falls 147 percent, metal, power stocks slump - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex rises 150 points; oil and gas, banking stocks rally - Apr 03, 2012
- Sensex down 21.31 points in the afternoon trade - Apr 23, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: afternoon session, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, gas index, gas stocks, indian markets, metal index, metal stocks, morning session, national stock exchange, oil and gas, oil gas, oil prices, rupee, sensex, sensitive index