Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead)August 2nd, 2012 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 2 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was down 68 points in afternoon trade Thursday on profit booking after recent gains.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,245.68 points, was ruling at 17,189.36 points, 0.39 percent or 68.02 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,257.38 points.
It had gained nearly 620 points in the last four sessions.
The BSE oil and gas index was down 92.35 points, followed by metal index, down 75.92 points, and banking index, down 77.69 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.40 percent down at 5,219.35 points.
The main Sensex losers were Tata Motors, down 2.11 percent at Rs.222.50; Sterlite Inds, down 2.08 percent at Rs.103.75; Tata Power, down 1.66 percent at Rs.98; Tata Steel, down 1.48 percent at Rs.403.30; and ONGC, down 1.45 percent at Rs.276.20.
The major Sensex gainers were NTPC, up 2.99 percent at Rs.162.05; Jindal Steel, up 1.23 percent at Rs.404.80; ITC, up 0.87 percent at Rs.261; BHEL, up 0.70 percent at Rs.221.85; and Larsen and Toubro, up 0.59 percent at Rs.1,389.10
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was up 0.13 percent while the Shanghai composite index was down 0.57 percent. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was also down 0.66 percent.
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 35 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 33 points down (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 22 points down (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex tanks 324 points in noon trade - May 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 21 points up (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex falls 97 points in choppy trade (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Sensex closes 134 points down on weak global cues (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex crosses 18,000 points on positive European cues (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sensex gains 146 points, auto banking stocks up (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, asian markets, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bse, gas index, hang seng, inds, larsen and toubro, metal index, metal stocks, national stock exchange, ongc, profit booking, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, tata motors, tata power, tata steel