Sensex tanks 77 points; metal, auto, power stocks hit (Lead)May 14th, 2012 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 14 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets fell 77 points Monday at the release of a higher-than-expected inflation data for April. Metal, automobile and power stocks came under intense selling pressure.
Amid volatile trade, the 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,318.36 points, closed at 16,215.84 points - down 0.47 percent or 77.14 points from its previous close of 16,292.98 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,390.33 points and a low of 16,124.82 in the intra-day. The midcap index of the BSE fell 59.76 points, while smallcap index closed 80.81 points down.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.43 percent lower at 4,907.80 points.
The Sensex and Nifty, which were up in the early morning trade, plunged as soon as the inflation data was released.
The monthly inflation, represented by the wholesale price index or WPI index, stood at 7.2 per cent against 6.9 per cent in March 2012. Food articles inflation was at 10.5 per cent. The unexpected spike reduced the prospects of further interest rate cuts.
The healthcare index was up 0.78 percent followed by IT index, up 0.41 percent, and consumer durable index up 0.36 percent. The capital goods index was up 0.34 percent followed by FMCG, up 0.28 percent.
The metal index fell 0.55 percent, auto index declined 0.65 percent, and power index closed 0.79 percent down.
Major Sensex losers included DLF, down 2.64 percent at Rs.182.35; Tata Motors, down 2.42 percent at Rs.290.20; RIL, down 2.32 percent at Rs.681.15; HDFC Bank, down 2.02 percent at Rs.500.50; and BHEL, down 1.99 percent at Rs.216.75.
Major Sensex gainers included: Larsen and Toubro, up 1.84 percent at Rs.1,159.80; Bajaj Auto up 1.80 percent at Rs.1,583.15; Tata Power up 1.51 percent at Rs.93.85; Sun Pharma up 1.26 percent at Rs.576.85; and Infosys up 1.13 percent at Rs.2,338.
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex tanks 238 points on poor Infosys growth outlook - Apr 13, 2012
- Sensex declines 31 points, realty, capital goods stocks down - Jul 26, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 67 points down as bearish mood prevails (Roundup) - May 09, 2012
- Sensex falls 59 points as bearish mood prevails (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Sensex falls 57 points, metal consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex falls 126 points on weak rupee and global cues (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Rupee weighs on market, Sensex closes 156 points lower (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 60 points down (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Sensex closes below 16,000-mark amid growth worries (Round-up) - Jun 01, 2012
- Sensex marginally down in afternoon trade (Lead) - May 09, 2012
Tags: auto index, auto power, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, food articles, healthcare index, inflation data, larsen and toubro, metal index, midcap index, national stock exchange, power index, power stocks, sensex, sensitive index, sun pharma, tata motors, tata power, wholesale price index