Sensex tanks 281 points (Lead)July 23rd, 2012 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 23 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets plunged 281 points Monday on weak global cues and a sell-off in metal, realty and power stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,047.73 points, closed at 16,877.35 points, down 1.64 percent or 281.09 points from its previous day’s close at 17,158.44 points.
The BSE metal index was down 357.32 points, followed by realty index, down 48.26 points, and power index, down 52.28 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also closed 1.67 percent down at 5,117.95 points.
The major Sensex losers were Maruti Suzuki, down 5.65 percent at Rs.1,079.90; Sterlite Inds, down 5.19 percent at Rs.99.55; Hindalco Inds, down 4.67 percent at Rs.116.30; Gail India, down 4.52 percent at Rs.338.35; and BHEL, down 3.95 percent at Rs.219.80.
The gainers were Dr Reddy’s Lab, up 1.10 percent at Rs.1,629 and Cipla, up 0.43 percent at Rs.327.90.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei closed 1.86 percent down and Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 2.99 percent down. China’s Composite index was 1.26 percent down.
At closing bell here, European markets were in the red. France’s CAC was down 2.19 percent while Germany’s DAX was trading 1.69 percent lower. Britain’s FTSE 100 was down 1.72 percent.
- Sensex down 226.09 points as metals, capital goods stocks tumble - Jul 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 110 points; realty, banking stocks up - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex rises 75 points; FMCG, consumer durables up (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 22 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex slips 120 points; banking, capital goods stocks fall (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 81 points higher as August derivatives end (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex gains 272 points on rate cut hope, global cues (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex slumps 405 points on weakening rupee (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sensex ends in red; power, realty, auto stocks fall (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, cipla, closing bell, composite index, dr reddy, european markets, ftse 100, hang seng, inds, maruti suzuki, metal index, national stock exchange, power index, power stocks, rs 1, sensex, sensitive index