Sensex surges 284 points on firm cues from global marketsJuly 27th, 2012 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 27 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Friday was trading 284 points up in afternoon trade amid firm global cues and fresh buying in beaten down stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,860.16 points, was ruling at 16,924.72 points, 1.71 percent or 284.90 points up from its previous day’s close at 16,639.82 points.
The BSE metal index was up 264.30 points, followed by banking index, up 223.61 points and consumer durables, up 107.28 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 1.80 percent up at 5,134 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Tata Motors, up 4.47 percent at Rs.214; Sterlite Inds, up 4.45 percent at Rs.102.10; Tata Steel, up 4.02 percent at Rs.399.60; HDFC Bank, up 3.62 percent at Rs.587; and Hindalco Inds, up 3.47 percent at Rs.117.85.
The main losers were Hero MotoCorp, down 1.04 percent at Rs.2,018; Cipla, down 0.35 percent at Rs.327; Dr Reddy’s Lab, down 0.26 percent at Rs.1,618.50; Bajaj Auto, down 0.26 percent at Rs.1,579; and SBI, down 0.06 percent at Rs.2,016.
Other Asian markets were in the green after the American markets closed over 1 per cent up overnight Thursday as European policy makers said they would preserve the euro.
Japan’s Nikkei was up 1.46 percent while Shanghai’s composite index ruled 0.13 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was also up 2.06 percent.
Europe’s main stock markets advanced in opening trade Friday, extending the previous day’s gains.
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex zooms 439 points on US stimulus, diesel price hike (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex erases day's highs, up 180 points (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sensex falls from day's high, up 199 points (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sensex falls 57 points, metal consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 214 points up (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sensex zooms on US stimulus, diesel price hike - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- RBI measures fail to cheer market, Sensex falls 43 points (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex down 119 points; consumer durable, auto stocks fall - May 23, 2012
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex jumps 443 points on US stimulus, diesel price hike (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Rupee weighs on market, Sensex closes 156 points lower (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Sensex plunges 178 points as rupee hits record low - Jun 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 160 points down on low GDP report (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, american markets, asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, cipla, composite index, consumer durables, dr reddy, hindalco, inds, main stock, metal index, national stock exchange, rs 2, sbi, sensitive index, stock markets, tata motors, tata steel