Sensex slumps 24 percent in 2011 (Roundup)December 30th, 2011 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 30 (IANS) Key indices of Indian equities markets lost nearly a quarter of their value in 2011 as slower growth and high inflation, coupled with a perception of policy paralysis dampened investor sentiments.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) ended the year at 15,454.92 points, down 24.20 percent or 4,934.15 points from its 2010 closing level of 20,389.07 points.
Indian markets are among the worst performer this year. Most other major global indices lost between 10 to 20 percent in 2011.
The benchmark Sensex closed at 15,454.92 points Friday, the last trading day of the week, down 0.57 percent or 89.01 points from its previous close at 15,543.93 points.
The index closed in the red for the fourth straight day. The 30 scrip index lost 516 points in the last four trading sessions.
At the National Stock Exchange, the 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty also lost nearly 25 percent of its value in 2011.
The Nifty closed 0.47 percent down at 4,624.30 points Friday, closing in the red for the fourth consecutive day.
Broader markets and most sectoral indices witnessed even more severe selling pressure in 2011. The BSE midcap index slumped 33.44 percent while the smallcap index tumbled 41.90 percent.
However, the BSE midcap and smallcap indices managed to close in the positive Friday. The midcap index rose 0.31 percent and the smallcap index closed 0.09 percent higher.
There was selling pressure in oil and gas and realty stocks. Oil and gas index of the BSE fell 1.47 percent and the realty index closed 1.1 percent down.
Reliance Industries slipped below Rs.700 for the first time in more than a year. The scrip fell 2.81 percent to Rs.690, taking 2011 loss to more than 30 percent.
The BSE bankex index fell 0.7 percent. Most lenders SBI, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank and HDFC closed in the red.
- Sensex falls 89 points; yearly loss widens to 24 percent (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Indian stock markets begin 2012 on negative note - Jan 02, 2012
- Sensex dips 184 points; capital goods, energy stocks slump (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Sensex falls 146 points, realty, metal stocks slump - Dec 28, 2011
- Sensex rebounds 101 points; banking stocks climb - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex closes in green on first session of 2012 (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Sensex closes in red; oil and gas, realty stocks slump - Jan 05, 2012
- Sensex dips 204 points; in red for fifth straight day (Roundup) - Dec 20, 2011
- Sensex pares losses, closes 142 points down (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Sensex falls in afternoon trade (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Benchmark indices subdued, midcaps rise - Feb 09, 2012
- Sensex slips below 18,000 points - Feb 24, 2012
- Sensex closes in red for fifth straight day, dips 204 points - Dec 20, 2011
- Sensex falls 97 points in choppy trade (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Sensex trading in the green, power, realty stocks lead - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,