Sensex slumps 161 points in noon tradeMay 18th, 2012 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets was trading over 161 points low from its previous close around 12.30 p.m. Friday as automobile, capital goods and metal stocks came under intense selling pressure.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was ruling at 15,909.26 points, down by 1 percent or 161.22 points from its previous close of 16,070.48 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 15,920.90 points and a low of 15,809.71 points in the intra-day trade. The sensex midcap was down 57.61 points and smallcap was down by 58.28 points.
The BSE auto index was down 2.90 percent or 272.44 points, the capital goods index was down 1.75 percent or 152.97 points and the metal index was down 1.53 percent or 153.53 points.
Tata Motors was down 4.68 percent at Rs.258.40; Maruti Suzuki was down 3.56 percent at Rs.1162.10; Bajaj Auto was down 3.07 percent at Rs.1526; BHEL was down 2.46 percent at Rs.200.65 and Tata Steel was also down 2.37 percent at Rs.396.25.
Other major Sensex losers included Sterlite, down 2.28 percent at Rs.96.35; Hero MotoCorp, down 2.22 percent at Rs.1,848.05; Infosys, down 2 percent at Rs.2,324; Hindalco, down 1.65 percent at Rs.107; Larsen and Toubro, down 1.53 percent at Rs.1,145 and Jindal Steel, down 1.49 percent at Rs.455.10.
The only three Sensex gainers were SBI, up by 1.06 percent at Rs.1,867.60; Hindustan Unilever, up 0.92 percent at Rs.432.45 and NTPC, up 0.81 percent at Rs.143.25.
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 31 points down (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 47 points down, metal, capital goods stocks slump (Roundup) - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; SBI down over 4 percent (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 34 points high, FMCG, IT stocks up (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 80 points up, on SBI and rupee shows (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Sensex up 52 points; TCS, HDFC Bank rise - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex rises 63.33 points; capital goods, banking, realty stocks up - May 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 24 points up - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex falls on global economic growth worries - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex climbs 152 points on firm global cues (Roundup) - Jun 30, 2011
- Sensex falls 59 points as bearish mood prevails (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; consumer durable, realty stocks up - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex trades flat, auto, banking stocks down (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Sensex rises 40 points; metal, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: auto index, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, hindalco, jindal, larsen and toubro, maruti suzuki, metal index, metal stocks, midcap, ntpc, rs 200, rs 432, sensex, sensitive index, slumps, tata motors, tata steel