Sensex slumps 143 points on weak economic numbersJune 1st, 2012 - 2:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 1 (IANS) Indian equities markets benchmark indices slumped almost one percent in afternoon trade Friday as disappointing economic growth numbers and continued weakness in rupee dampened investors sentiments.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened almost flat at 16,217.48 points, was ruling at 16,075.92 points around noon, down 0.88 percent or 142.61 points from its previous close at 16,218.53 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was down 0.86 percent at 4,882.05 points.
Poor economic growth data has dampened investors’ sentiments at the market. India’s economic growth slumped to nine-year low of 5.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011-12. For whole 2011-12 financial year, the growth dipped to 6.5 percent as compared to 8.4 percent in the previous year.
There was selling pressure in IT, technology, oil and gas and power stocks. IT stock of the BSE was down almost two percent. Oil and gas stock was down 1.48 percent and power stock was down 1.48 percent.
Major Sensex losers included Jindal Steel, down 2.38 percent at Rs.430.95; Infosys, down 2.08 percent at Rs.2,389; Wipro, down 1.97 percent at Rs.401.50; and TCS, down 1.83 percent at Rs.1,223.00.
Only seven of the 30 Sensex scrips were in the positive. ITC was up 1.39 percent at Rs.233.45. Hindalco Inds was up 0.86 percent at Rs.117.70.
- Sensex closes below 16,000-mark amid growth worries (Round-up) - Jun 01, 2012
- Sensex, Nifty close in red on poor GDP numbers (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Sensex falls 126 points; auto, realty stocks slump - May 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 74 points down; auto, realty stocks slump - Nov 14, 2011
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex above 16,000-mark, realty, FMCG stocks fall (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Sensex slumps 405 points on weakening rupee (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sensex slumps on poor factory output, Japan quake (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Sensex slides 188.12 points, oil and gas, capital goods stocks down (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Sensex dips 257 points; Infosys, Wipro slump (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2012
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex slumps 302 points amid global sell-off - Oct 03, 2011
- Sensex slumps 398 points on rates hike (Weekly market review) - Jun 18, 2011
- Sensex flat; consumer durables, auto index down (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, bombay stock exchange, bse, economic growth data, economic numbers, growth numbers, hindalco, inds, infosys, itc, market india, national stock exchange, power stocks, rs 1, rs 2, rupee, sensex, sensitive index, slumps, wipro