Sensex slumps 126 points on weak global cues (Lead)September 5th, 2012 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 5 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets extended losses in late afternoon trade Wednesday on weak global cues and was trading 126 points lower. Metal, capital goods and banking stocks were the worst performers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,359.96 points, was ruling at 17,314.82 points, 0.72 percent or 126.05 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,440.87 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,411.67 points and a low of 17,250.80 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.87 percent down at 5,228.10 points.
On the sectoral front, the BSE metal index was down 237.92 points, capital goods index was down 208.30 points and the banking index was down 174.94 points.
The main Sensex losers were BHEL, down 4.41 percent at Rs.209.25; Jindal Steel, down 4.18 percent at Rs.338.10; Tata Steel, down 3.33 percent at Rs.351; ICICI Bank, down 3.09 percent at Rs.883.85; and Sterlite Inds, down 3.01 percent at Rs.93.35.
The major gainers were Bharti Airtel, up 2.90 percent at Rs.256.90; Hindustan Unilever, up 1.66 percent at Rs.529.95; TCS, up 0.66 percent at Rs.1,351; and ITC, up 0.56 percent at Rs.267.75.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was down 1.09 percent while Shanghai’s composite index was trading 0.29 percent lower. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down 1.47 percent.
European markets were trading lower too, ahead of European Central Bank meeting Thursday. France’s CAC was down 0.66 percent and so was Germany’s DAX, down by 0.47 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was trading 0.65 percent lower.
- Sensex down 108 points, bank, capital goods stocks fall - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex slumps 117.57 points, Wipro tanks - Apr 25, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 128 points down, BHEL, ICICI Bank shares hit (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex falls below 17,000 points (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Sensex pares some losses, closes 148 points down - Oct 20, 2011
- Sensex falls 100 points on weak Asian cues - Apr 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 33 points down (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex rises 17 points; oil, gas, power stocks up - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points up, realty, oil and gas stocks rise (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 55 points down, realty, banking stocks lower (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 49 points, realty, oil and gas high (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Weak global markets, Rupee pull Sensex 110 points down - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: afternoon trade, airtel, asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, composite index, european markets, ftse 100, hang seng, inds, late afternoon, metal index, national stock exchange, sensex, sensitive index, slumps, sterlite, tata steel