Sensex sheds early gains, down 16 points (Lead)July 4th, 2012 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 4 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Wednesday pared early gains and was trading 16 points lower in afternoon trade on concerns over a weak monsoon, rising crude prices and poor opening in European bourses.
The Sensex had gained over 92 points in early trade.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,473.26 points, was trading at 17,409.11 points, down 0.10 percent or 16.60 points from its previous close at 17,425.71 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was also trading 0.20 percent lower at 5,277.50 points.
The BSE IT index was down 50.67 points, while oil and gas index was down 66.81 points and FMCG index was down 29.13 points.
The main losers were ONGC, down 2.25 percent at Rs.283; Dr Reddy’s Lab, down 1.98 percent at Rs.1,635.05; Wipro, down 1.91 percent at Rs.393; Hindustan Unilever, down 1.07 percent at Rs.437.65; NTPC, down 1.02 percent at Rs.159.40.
Major Sensex gainers were Jindal Steel, up 3.79 percent at Rs.468.20; Sterlite Inds, up 3.04 percent at Rs.108.55; Maruti Suzuki, up 2.17 percent at Rs.1,217.10; Tata Steel, up 1.50 at Rs.452.35; and SBI, up 1.41 percent at Rs.2,214.65.
In the Asian region, the Japan’s Nikkei was up 0.41 percent, while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down 0.19 percent. China’s Shanghai Composite Index too was down 0.08 percent.
European markets were trading in the red. France’s CAC was down 0.47 percent, while Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were trading 0.21 percent and 0.20 percent down respectively.
- Sensex rises 40 points; metal, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 37 points up (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex gains 66 points in special trading - Sep 08, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 49 points, realty, oil and gas high (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex down 55 points as August derivatives end (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex down 168 points - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 66 points; metal, IT stocks up (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex marginally down at 16,878 points - May 08, 2012
- Sensex rises 41 points; health care, FMCG stocks up - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex up marginally; bank, healthcare stocks gain - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, asian region, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, crude prices, dr reddy, european bourses, european markets, ftse 100, gas index, hang seng, inds, national stock exchange, ntpc, rs 2, sbi, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, tata steel, wipro