Sensex ruling lower, IT, telecom drag broader marketsJune 17th, 2011 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 17 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets slipped from early high Friday and was subdued while IT and telecom stocks weighed heavy on the broader markets.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,060.17 points, was ruling at 17,923.98 points — down 61.9 points or 0.35 percent from its previous close at 17,985.88 points.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was also trading in the red at 5,380.5 points, down 0.3 percent.
Broader markets were ruling quiet, with the BSE midcap index up 0.17 percent and the BSE smallcap index up 0.23 percent.
The market breadth was negative, with 1,102 stocks advancing, 1,353 on the decline and 112 remaining unchanged.
Among the gainers on the Sensex were Tata Steel, Bharti Airtel, Tata Power and Hindustan Unilever, while losers included Infosys, TCS, ONGC and RIL.
Asian markets were ruling lower as well.
The Nikkei of the Japanese stock exchange was down 0.59 percent at 9,355.49 points, while the Hang Seng of the Hong Kong stock exchange was trading 0.46 percent lower at 21,852.82 points.
The Chinese Shanghai composite index moved down 0.25 percent to close at 2,657.69 points.
- Sensex closes 133 points lower, RIL weighs heavy (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Sensex closes 133 points lower, RIL weighs heavy (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2011
- Panic selling at Indian equities markets - Jun 20, 2011
- Talk of tax treaty with Mauritius spooks Indian markets (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex down 73 points in volatile trade - Oct 31, 2011
- Sensex weak, IT, capital goods under selling pressure - Mar 19, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Talk of tax treaty with Mauritius spooks Indian markets (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2011
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex range-bound, broader indices see more selling (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Benchmark indices subdued, midcaps rise - Feb 09, 2012
- Sensex starts week on strong footing - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, bse, hang seng, hindustan, hong kong stock, hong kong stock exchange, japanese stock, kong stock exchange, market breadth, midcap index, national stock exchange, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, smallcap index, tata power, tata steel, telecom stocks