Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks upAugust 21st, 2012 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 21 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was up Tuesday, trading 97 points higher in afternoon trade.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,705.14 points, was ruling at 17,788.71 points, 0.55 percent or 97.63 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,691.08 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,815.76 points and a low of 17,705.14 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.53 percent at 5,394.59 points.
The BSE IT index was up 91.74 points.
The major Sensex gainers were HDFC, up 2.42 percent at Rs.729.35; Infosys, up 2.07 percent at Rs.2,400; Cipla, up 2 percent at Rs.361.95; Tata Motors, up 1.95 percent at Rs.245.15; and Mahindra and Mahindra, up 1.47 percent at Rs.778.40.
The main Sensex losers were Hindalco Inds down 2.94 percent at Rs.110.60; Tata Steel, down 1.47 percent at Rs.389; Hero MotoCorp, down 1.33 percent at Rs.1,904.40; HDFC Bank, down 0.87 percent at Rs.590; and Coal India, down 0.71 percent at Rs.347.95.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was down 0.16 percent while Shanghai’s composite index was 0.54 percent up. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down 0.07 percent.
- Sensex closes 194 points up; IT, power stocks rise (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 194 points up, IT, power stocks rise (Roundup) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex rises over 100 points, oil and gas, banking stocks up (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex falls 147 percent, metal, power stocks slump - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex slides 320 points to close below 17,000 (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 40 points down on weak industrial data - Aug 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex falls for second week on earnings and negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 05, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 81 points higher as August derivatives end (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, cipla, coal india, composite index, gainers, hang seng, inds, infosys, mahindra and mahindra, national stock exchange, nikkei, rs 1, rs 2, sensitive index, tata motors, tata steel