Sensex rises 80 points, metal, capital goods stocks up (Roundup)July 18th, 2012 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 18 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Wednesday closed almost 80 points up, led by good buying in metal, capital goods, realty stocks and positive European cues.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,113.37 points, closed at 17,185.01 points, up 0.47 percent or 79.71 points from its previous day’s close at 17,105.30 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also closed 0.45 percent higher at 5,216.30 points.
The BSE metal index was high at 153.98 points and so were capital goods and realty indices — 105.38 points and 15.53 points respectively.
The major Sensex gainers were Bajaj Auto, 5.20 percent at Rs.1,522.35; Tata Power, up 2.71 percent at Rs.98.40; Jindal Steel, up 2.67 percent at Rs.426.55; Sterlite Inds, up 2.43 percent at Rs.103.35; and Maruti Suzuki, up 2.31 percent at Rs.1,224.30.
The losers were Tata Motors, down 1.93 percent at Rs.221.55; Dr Reddy’s Lab, down 1.85 percent at Rs.1,672; NTPC, down 0.79 percent at Rs.157; SBI, down 0.59 percent at Rs.2,185.95; and Cipla, down 0.56 percent at Rs.329.70.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei closed 0.32 percent down and Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 1.11 percent down. China’s Composite index was 0.37 percent down.
At closing bell here, European markets were in the green. France’s CAC was up 0.57 percent while Germany’s DAX was up 0.11 percent, and Britain’s FTSE 100 was up 0.01 percent.
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex rises 66 points; metal, IT stocks up (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex rises 147.78 points; consumer durables, realty stocks up - Jun 11, 2012
- Sensex ends 38 points down; Bharti Airtel drops 3.85 percent (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex plunges 277 points on weak global cues (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 87 points up (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes in red (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 50 points lower on S&P; warning (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Choppy trading at Indian equities after outlook downgrade - Apr 26, 2012
- Sensex ends 93 points higher; IT, consumer durable stocks up( Roundup) - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: asian markets, auto 5, bajaj, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, cipla, closing bell, dr reddy, european markets, ftse 100, inds, maruti suzuki, metal index, national stock exchange, ntpc, realty stocks, sensitive index, tata motors, tata power