Sensex rises 72 points; tech and reality scrips gain (Lead)December 7th, 2011 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 7 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities Wednesday closed 72 points higher, led by good buying support in technology and realty stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,830.04 points, ended the day at 16,877.06 points, up 0.43 percent or 71.73 points up from its previous close at 16,805.33 points.
The Sensex had touched a high of 17,003.71 points and a low of 16,781.62 points intra-day.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.47 percent higher at 5,062.60 points.
Good buying was seen in technology, realty and consumer goods stocks. Wipro surged 3.31 percent at Rs.403.75. Infosys closed 1.95 percent higher at Rs.2752.80.
IT index of the BSE advanced 1.43 percent at 5,808.75 points. Realty index rose 0.77 percent and consumer goods index index closed 0.78 percent higher.
At the broader markets, the BSE midcap and smallcap indices closed 0.20 percent higher.
Among the prominent Sensex gainers were Jaiprakash Associates, up 1.89 percent at Rs.70.25; HDFC, up 1.82 percent at Rs.673.70; ONGC, up 1.64 percent at Rs.273.00; Sterlite Inds, up 1.58 percent at Rs.109.55; and SBI, up 1.47 percent at Rs.1936.70.
Major losers included Bharti Airtel, down 3.33 percent at Rs.377.30; NTPC, down 3.21 percent at Rs.170.25; Sun Pharma, down 2.58 percent at Rs.510.95; and Coal India, down 2.44 percent at Rs.324.45.
Most other Asian markets also advanced. Japan’s Nikkei rose 1.71 percent at 8,722.17 points. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index closed 1.58 percent up at 19,240.58 points and China’s Shanghai Composite index rose 0.47 percent at 2,528.23 points.
European markets were mixed. Britain’s FTSE 100 was trading marginally in the red, while German DAX was 0.24 percent higher and French CAC 40 was trading 0.51 percent higher.
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 66 points high (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex gains 75 points, FMCG, banking stocks rise (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex above 16,000-mark, realty, FMCG stocks fall (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on derivatives expiry, weak European cues (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex rebounds on rupee recovery (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 47 points down, metal, capital goods stocks slump (Roundup) - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex rises 80 points, metal, capital goods stocks up (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex slips 120 points; banking, capital goods stocks fall (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex tanks 281 points (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 345 points up on tax clarification - Mar 30, 2012
- Sensex closes 37 points up (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex zooms on US stimulus, diesel price hike - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: airtel, asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, cac 40, coal india, ftse 100, german dax, hang seng index, hdfc, inds, midcap, national stock exchange, ntpc, ongc, points realty, realty stocks, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, sun pharma