Sensex rises 64 points on rate cut hopesJune 12th, 2012 - 2:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 12 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was trading 0.38 percent higher in the afternoon session Tuesday, led by hopes of a rate cut after the government released the industrial output data.
According to government data released Tuesday, India’s industrial output was almost flat at 0.1 percent in April compared to a year ago.
There was good buying support in banking and consumer durable stocks as well.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,570.51 points, was trading at 16,732.14 points in the afternoon session, up 0.38 percent or 64.13 points from its previous close at 16,668.01 points.
RBI Deputy Governor Subir Gokarn has hinted at rate cuts, saying decline in crude oil prices in the international markets and moderating core inflation coupled with slowdown in economic growth would give some room for easing monetary policy.
The RBI is scheduled to announce first quarter review of the monetary policy on June 18.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was trading 0.49 percent higher at 5079.10 points.
The BSE consumer banking index was up 144.81 points, the consumer durable index was up 59.43 points and the capital goods index was up 70.85 points.
Major Sensex gainers were Sterlite Inds, up 1.72 percent at Rs.103.20; SBI, up 1.38 percent at Rs.2,194.50; Larsen and Toubro, up 1.33 percent at Rs.1,300; HDFC Bank, up 1.29 percent at Rs.546.50 and Maruti Suzuki, up 1.14 percent at Rs.1,121.90.
Major Sensex loses were Dr Reddys Lab, down 2.04 percent at Rs.1,578; Wipro down 1.60 percent at Rs.393.95; Hindustan Unilever, down 0.56 percent at Rs.432.65; Tata Power, down 0.42 percent at Rs.95.80; ITC, down 0.29 percent at Rs.238.80.
- Sensex falls 64 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex 194 points up on rates cut hope (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- After rate hike, Sensex continues downtrend (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2011
- Sensex rises 22 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 110 points; realty, banking stocks up - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex rebounds on rupee recovery (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex falls for third straight week on negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 12, 2012
- Sensex climbs 119 points; SBI, RIL rally (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex falls 57 points, metal consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex slides 156.93 points; consumer durables, realty stocks down - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: afternoon session, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, consumer banking, core inflation, crude oil prices, deputy governor, dr reddys lab, government data, inds, larsen and toubro, maruti suzuki, national stock exchange, rs 2, rs 432, s industrial, sensitive index, tata power, wipro