Sensex rises 20 points; metal, auto index upAugust 8th, 2012 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 7 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was up for the third straight day Wednesday, trading 20 points higher in afternoon trade.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,638.53 points, was ruling at 17,622.17 points, 0.12 percent or 20.39 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,601.78 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,679.37 points and a low of 17,605.62 points. BSE midcap was up 9.42 points and the small cap was 11.53 points.
The BSE metal index was up 150.02 points, followed by the auto index, up 91.84 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.16 percent at 5,345 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Hindalco Inds, up 2.36 percent at Rs.121.55; Mahindra & Mahindra, up 1.91 percent at Rs.708.75; Jindal Steel, up 1.87 percent at Rs.414.35; Tata Motors, up 1.51 percent at Rs.242.35 and Sterlite Inds, up 1.44 percent at Rs.105.80.
The main Sensex losers were Gail India, down 2.23 percent at Rs.369; Bharti Airtel, down 2.13 percent at Rs.287.55; ONGC, down 1.63 percent at Rs.278.20; TCS, down 0.93 percent at Rs.1,252.90 and Dr Reddys Lab, down 0.77 percent at Rs.1,644.60.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was up 0.88 percent while Shanghai’s composite index was 0.16 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down 0.25 percent.
- Sensex rises 120 points; auto, metal stocks up (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex rises 17 points; oil, gas, power stocks up - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex closes in red (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex trades flat, auto, banking stocks down (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex down 26.45 points on selling pressure - May 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 194 points up, IT, power stocks rise (Roundup) - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, asian markets, auto index, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, bse, composite index, dr reddys lab, gainers, hang seng, inds, metal index, midcap, national stock exchange, ongc, rs 1, sensitive index, sterlite, tata motors