Sensex rises 100 points; TCS, Wipro surgeApril 24th, 2012 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 24 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets was trading 100 points higher in the afternoon session Tuesday, led by more than 12 percent surge in the share price of Tata Consultancy Services (TCS).
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the positive at 17,154.75 points, was ruling at 17,195.82 points in the afternoon session, up 0.58 percent or 99.14 points from its previous close at 17,096.68 points.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was trading 0.42 percent higher at 5,222.65 points.
Share price of the country’s largest outsourcing firm Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) surged 12.44 percent to Rs.1,191 a day after the firm announced 23 percent jump in fourth quarter profit.
Wipro was ruling 2.82 percent higher at Rs.435.65.
Hindalco Inds, 2.27 percent higher at Rs.121.60; Coal India, up 1.94 percent at Rs.361.80 and Tata Power, 1.91 percent higher at Rs.104.15 were among the other major Sensex gainers.
Telecom stocks slumped after the regulator proposed a steep hike in 2G spectrum prices.
The country’s largest telecom firm Bharti Airtel was down 2.64 percent at Rs.304.40.
Other major Sensex losers were: L&T;, down 1.82 percent at Rs.1232; Mahindra & Mahindra, down 1.73 percent at Rs.702.70; Maruti Suzuki, down 1.25 percent at Rs.1358.15 and Gail India, down 1.11 percent at Rs.348.70.
- Sensex ends 111 points up; TCS, Wipro surge (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex down 37 points, oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex rises 20 points; metal, auto index up - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points; auto, metal stocks up (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 41 points; health care, FMCG stocks up - Jul 17, 2012
- Choppy trading at Indian equities after outlook downgrade - Apr 26, 2012
- Sensex rises 100 points; auto, IT stocks rally - May 29, 2012
- Sensex closes 74 points higher (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 200 points on stronger rupee - May 28, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 127 points, IT stocks hit (Lead) - May 08, 2012
Tags: afternoon session, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, coal india, gainers, inds, maruti suzuki, national stock exchange, outsourcing firm, power 1, quarter profit, rs 1, sensitive index, share price, steep hike, tata consultancy services, tata consultancy services tcs, tata power, telecom firm, telecom stocks