Sensex rises 100 points; auto, IT stocks rallyMay 29th, 2012 - 2:27 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 29 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets was trading almost 100 points up in the afternoon session Tuesday, led by good buying support in IT, auto and banking stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the positive at 16,500.04 points, was ruling at 16,516.76 points in the afternoon session, up 0.61 percent or 99.92 points from its previous close at 16,416.84 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,518.24 points and low of 16,410.23 points in the intra-day trade.
The wide-based 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.44 percent higher at 5,007.40 points.
There was good buying support in IT, auto and banking stocks.
IT index of the BSE was ruling 1.32 percent higher. Auto index was up 0.97 percent.
SBI rallied 2.08 percent at Rs.2144. Maruti Suzuki was up 2.03 percent at Rs.1126.10.
Other major Sensex gainers were: TCS, up 1.82 percent at Rs.1246; Tata Motors, up 1.75 percent at Rs.281.45; BHEL, up 1.29 percent at Rs.219.90; Coal India, up 1.24 percent at Rs.318.95; and Tata Steel, up 1.21 percent at Rs.416.75.
Only five of the 30 Sensex scrips were in the negative. ITC was down 1.09 percent at Rs.232.30, and Bharti Airtel was down 0.63 percent at Rs.300.40.
- Sensex closes flat, technology stocks rise (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Sensex closes 200 points on stronger rupee - May 28, 2012
- Sensex closes 74 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex jumps 304 points ahead of RBI policy review (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points up on interest rate cut hopes (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex falls below 17,000 points (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Sensex 80 points high on strong global cues - Sep 06, 2012
- Sensex down 146.58 points during noon trade - May 11, 2012
- Sensex marginally down at 16,878 points - May 08, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex declines 31 points, realty, capital goods stocks down - Jul 26, 2012
- Sensex down 79 points; consumer durables, auto scrips fall - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex rises 147.78 points; consumer durables, realty stocks up - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: afternoon session, auto index, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bse, coal india, gainers, itc, maruti suzuki, national stock exchange, rally, rs 232, sbi, sensex, sensitive index, stocks, tata motors, tata steel