Sensex rebounds on rupee recovery (Lead)June 8th, 2012 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 8 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Friday recouped early losses to be in the green zone, gaining 70 points with the recovery of the rupee.
The 30-scrip Sensitive Index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) recovered from earlier falls to close 0.42 percent or 69.82 points higher at 16,718.87 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,767.77 points and a low of 16,485.02 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.37 percent higher at 5,068.35 points.
The rupee recovered 25 paise from day’s low of 55.69 a dollar. Hopes of a possible rate cut by the Reserve Bank of India also added to the market sentiments.
The RBI is scheduled to announce first quarter review of the monetary policy on June 18.
The BSE consumer durable index advanced 165.99 percent while the realty index rose 22.72 percent. The FMCG index was also up 41.10 percent and power index closed 13.76 percent higher.
Prominent Sensex gainers included Sterlite Inds, up 3.50 percent at Rs.100.60; Gail India, up 3.06 percent at Rs.331.70; Larsen and Toubro, up 2.53 percent at Rs.1,309.50; BHEL, up 1.58 percent at Rs.221.25; Hindustan Unilever, up 1.36 percent at Rs.428.35.
The major losers were Maruti Suzuki, down 1.66 percent at Rs.1,124.55; Infosys, down 1.38 percent at Rs.2,419.20; ONGC, down 1.37 percent at Rs.259.25; Bajaj Auto, down 1.06 percent at Rs.1,528.65; and TCS, down 0.75 percent at Rs.1,231.15.
After opening lower, the Sensex touched the day’s low of 16,485.02 points on weak global cues after US Federal Reserve chief Ben Barnanke Thursday spiked hopes of a fresh stimulus package while rating agency Fitch downgraded long-term credit rating of Spain, adding to eurozone worries.
At closing bell here, trading in European markets was mixed. France’s CAC was trading 1.05 percent lower, while Germany’s DAX was down 0.85 percent and Britain’s FTSE 100 declining 0.89 percent.
- Sensex up 106.32 points; FMCG, oil stocks surge - Jun 19, 2012
- Sensex jumps 443 points on US stimulus, diesel price hike (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex down 146.58 points during noon trade - May 11, 2012
- Day after rally, Sensex closes flat (Roundup) - Jan 11, 2012
- Sensex rises, capital goods, metal and IT stocks buying picks up - May 15, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex edges up but ends lower for second consecutive week (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex falls 57 points, metal consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex ends 38 points down; Bharti Airtel drops 3.85 percent (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: bank of india, ben barnanke, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, closing bell, ftse 100, green zone, inds, larsen and toubro, market sentiments, maruti suzuki, national stock exchange, ongc, paise, power index, reserve bank of india, reserve chief, sensitive index, stimulus package