Sensex rebounds 217 points on positive political cues (Lead)March 8th, 2011 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 8 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets rebounded 217 points Tuesday after signs of a rapprochement in sight between the DMK, a key ally of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government, and its principal constituent, the Congress.
The 30-share sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the positive at 18,277.34 points, ended the day at 18,439.65 points, up 1.19 percent or 216.98 points from the previous close of 18,222.67 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 18,466.81 points and low of 18,266.62 points in the intraday. The index had lost 264 points Monday.
At the National Stock Exchange (NSE), the broader 50-share S&P; CNX Nifty closed 1.06 percent or 57.65 points higher at 5,520.80 points.
All the broader market indices also closed in the positive territory, with the BSE midcap gaining almost one percent and the BSE smallcap ending 0.76 percent higher at 7,944.85 points.
There was good buying support in technology, auto and metal scrips.
Major gainers on the Sensex were: Bharti Airtel, up 3.16 percent at Rs.334.20; Tata Motors, up 2.91 percent at Rs.1,160.05; ONGC, up 2.90 percent at Rs.271.55; Infosys, up 2.53 percent at Rs.3,114.65; and Jaiprakash Associates, up 2.37 percent at Rs.84.25.
Four out of the 30 scrips that constitute the Sensex closed in the red. Hero Honda, down 0.77 percent at Rs.1,518.15; Maruti Suzuki, down 0.65 percent at Rs.1,256.50; ITC, down 0.35 percent at Rs.171.95; and Tata Power, down 0.04 percent at Rs.1,229.85 were the losers on the Sensex.
- Sensex up 217 points on positive political cues, moderating oil price (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2011
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 38 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex crosses 18,000 points on positive European cues (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 110 points; realty, banking stocks up - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex rises 17 points; oil, gas, power stocks up - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 194 points up; IT, power stocks rise (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex gains 66 points in special trading - Sep 08, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex trades flat after early gains (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: airtel, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, dmk, gainers, hero honda, infosys, intraday, itc, market indices, national stock exchange, ongc, principal constituent, progressive alliance, rapprochement, rs 1, sensitive index, tata motors, tata power