Sensex rallies 215 points on global cues (Roundup)August 6th, 2012 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 6 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets surged 215 points Monday on strong global clues and in anticipation of measures the government would take soon to rejuvenate the economy.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,313.05 points, closed at 17,412.96 points, 1.25 percent or 215.03 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,197.93 points.
The BSE oil and gas index was up 245.89 points, followed by auto index, up 153.57 points and banking index, up 163.19 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 1.28 percent up at 5,282.55 points. Shares rose in early trade on better-than-expected payrolls data in the US and hopes of a solution to Eurozone debt crisis.
Later in the day towards closing time, Finance Minister P Chidambaram said the government would soon announce plans for fiscal consolidation and fine-tune policies to boost investor confidence. That helped equities gain traction.
The major Sensex gainers were RIL, up 5.71 percent at Rs.785.30; Tata Motors, up 3.51 percent at Rs.228.65; Gail India, up 2.49 percent at Rs.365.65; HDFC Bank, up 1.95 percent at Rs.599.75; and Tata Steel, up 1.85 percent at Rs.404.30.
The main Sensex losers were Dr Reddys Lab, down 0.86 percent at Rs.1,657.60; TCS, down 0.69 percent at Rs.1,229.40; Wipro, down 0.59 percent at Rs.344.95; NTPC, down 0.54 percent at Rs.165.40; and ITC, down 0.42 percent at Rs.258.25.
Other Asian markets closed in green. Japan’s Nikkei closed 2 percent up, while the Shanghai composite index ended 1.04 percent up. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was up 1.69 percent.
At closing bell here, European markets were also in the positive zone. France’s CAC and Germany’s DAX were up 0.60 percent each and Britain’s FTSE 100 was trading higher, up 0.21.
- Sensex closes 193 points up (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex rises, capital goods, metal and IT stocks buying picks up - May 15, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes in red (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex rises 47 points; capital goods, power stocks up - Jun 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 104 points down, realty, bank stocks slump (Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; consumer durable, health care stocks up (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 160 points down on low GDP report (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex tanks 77 points; metal, auto, power stocks hit (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Sensex bounces back, closes 112 points up (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Sensex down 146.58 points during noon trade - May 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 80 points up, on SBI and rupee shows (Lead) - May 18, 2012
Tags: auto index, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, closing bell, debt crisis, dr reddys lab, finance minister, fiscal consolidation, ftse 100, gain traction, gas index, investor confidence, national stock exchange, ntpc, p chidambaram, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, tata motors, tata steel, time finance