Sensex rallies 1.15 percent; Bharti Airtel, HDFC soar (Lead)December 29th, 2010 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 29 (IANS) A benchmark index of the Indian equities market rallied 1.15 percent Wednesday led by strong buying support in banks, metal and FMCG stocks, on the back of positive global cues.
The 30-share sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the positive terrain at 20,060.88 points, gained momentum in the afternoon session and settled at 20,256.03 points, up 1.15 percent or 230.61 points (provisional).
The Sensex remained in the positive terrain throughout the day and touched a high of 20,274.20 points and low of 20,054.64 points in the intra-day trade.
Sterlite Inds soared nearly four percent. Bharti Airtel up 3.61 percent, HDFC Bank up 3.32 percent, Hindustan Unilever up 3.24 percent, and HDFC up 2.71 percent, were major Sensex movers.
At the National Stock Exchange 50-share S&P CNX Nifty settled at 6,060.35 points, up 1.07 percent or 64.35 points (provisional).
At the broader market, the BSE smallcap index climbed over one percent and midcap gained nearly half a percent.
All the sectoral indices closed in the green. The BSE consumer durables index soared nearly two percent. The Bankex and the metal index gained almost one and a half percent.
Most other Asian markets closed in the positive and the European markets also opened in the green.
- Sensex rallies 230 points; HUL, Bharti Airtel, HDFC Bank soar (Roundup) - Dec 29, 2010
- Sensex rises 138 points; HDFC, Bharti Airtel climb - Dec 29, 2010
- Sensex climbs 0.42 percent; Maruti, Tata Motors rise - Dec 30, 2010
- Sensex closes 74 points down; auto, realty stocks slump - Nov 14, 2011
- Sensex closes 115 points higher (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 115 points up (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 171 points up at 20,060 points - Dec 21, 2010
- Sensex soars led by auto, IT stocks (Second Lead, correcting HCL quarterly data) - Apr 20, 2011
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 347 points up (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Sensex closes flat (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex rallies 215 points on global cues (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 302 points higher (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Sensex slips below 18,000 points - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: afternoon session, airtel, asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, consumer durables, cues, european markets, fmcg stocks, half a percent, half percent, metal index, national stock exchange, rallies, sectoral indices, sensex, sensitive index, smallcap index, unilever