Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead)June 14th, 2012 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets Thursday plunged more than 200 points after data showed that the country’s inflation rose 7.55 percent in May as against 7.23 percent in the previous month, dampening hopes of a rate-cut by the Reserve Bank of India in its mid-quarter policy review June 18.
Amid volatile trade, the 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,857.23 points, closed at 16,677.88 points — down 1.20 percent or 202.63 points from its previous close of 16,880.51 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,921.49 points intra-day and a low of 16,658.98. The midcap index of the BSE fell 76.35 points, while smallcap index closed 42.83 points down.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was down 1.30 percent at 5,054.75 points.
The realty index was down by 2.91 percent followed by banking index, down 2.82 percent, and capital goods, down by 2.79 percent.
Tata Motors was the top loser at the Sensex. It was down 4.56 percent at Rs.227.
Other main losers were Larsen and Toubro, down 3.92 percent at Rs.1,296.90; NTPC, down 3.76 percent at Rs.148.40; ICICI Bank, down 3.50 percent at Rs.819.40; SBI, down 3.06 percent at Rs.2,154.25; and Maruti Suzuki, down 2.58 percent at Rs.1,078.90.
The only four Sensex gainers were Infosys, up 1.09 percent at Rs.2,498.20; Cipla, up 0.58 percent at Rs.305.60; ITC, up 0.29 percent at Rs.244.30; and Sterlite Inds, up 0.15 percent at Rs.101.85.
At the closing bell here, European markets were trading lower. France’s CAC was 0.40 percent down, while Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were trading 0.24 percent and 0.49 percent lower respectively.
- Sensex down 87 points as rise in inflation dampens rate cut hopes - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 147.78 points; consumer durables, realty stocks up - Jun 11, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex down 146.58 points during noon trade - May 11, 2012
- Sensex rises, capital goods, metal and IT stocks buying picks up - May 15, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex down 119 points; consumer durable, auto stocks fall - May 23, 2012
- Sensex tanks 324 points in noon trade - May 16, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex rises 136.55 points; capital goods, banking stocks up - Jun 05, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex falls 86 points on profit booking - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: bank of india, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, cipla, closing bell, ftse 100, inds, inflation data, larsen and toubro, maruti suzuki, mid quarter, midcap index, national stock exchange, ntpc, reserve bank of india, rs 2, sensitive index, sterlite, tata motors