Sensex plunges 277 points on weak global cues (Roundup)April 23rd, 2012 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 23 (IANS) Indian equities markets closed lower Monday with a benchmark index falling 277.16 points. Realty, banking and telecom stocks were among the worst losers as weak European cues impacted trading sentiments ahead of the derivative expiry next Thursday.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,347.76 points, closed at 17,096.68, down 277.16 points or 1.60 percent.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also ended lower at 5,200.60, down 90.25 points or 1.71 percent from its previous close.
Top losers included Hindalco, down 4.88 percent at Rs.118.90; Jindal Steel, down 4.32 percent at Rs.483.90; DLF down 4.21 percent at Rs.189; BHEL, down 4.19 percent or 10.30 points at Rs.235.75; and Infosys 3.92 percent or 94.30 points at Rs.2,311.95.
The Infosys scrip was hit badly after the company reported that it is being investigated by US agencies over errors in its identity verification forms of some of its employees.
Top gainers included Sun Pharma, up 1.07 percent or 6.30 points at Rs.595.15; ONGC up 0.70 percent or 1.85 points up at Rs.268; RIL, up 0.64 percent or 4.65 points at Rs.763.10; NTPC up 0.30 percent or 0.50 points at Rs.166; and HDFC up 0.06 percent or 0.40 points at Rs.684.90.
Broader markets were quiet too with the BSE 500 index closing 1.70 percent down. The BSE midcap index closed 1.67 percent lower, while the BSE small cap index ended 1.54 percent down.
All BSE sectoral indices were down, with metals, consumer goods, bank and auto stocks hit the most.
The market breadth was skewed in favour of declines. Only 65 of the 500 stocks on the BSE 500 index managed to close with gain.
Earlier, Asian stocks closed with deep cuts, contributing to the weakness in markets.
- Sensex closes 277 points down in choppy trade (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sensex flat as traders take a breather after rally (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2012
- Sensex rises 110 points; realty, banking stocks up - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 55 points down, realty, banking stocks lower (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex tanks 223 points, Infosys down 9 percent - Jul 12, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- IT stocks drag Sensex 138 points lower (Roundup) - Jan 12, 2012
- Sensex down 55 points as August derivatives end (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex falls 126 points on weak rupee and global cues (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points up to touch 14-month high (Roundup) - Sep 17, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 46 points; oil and gas, IT stocks fall (Roundup) - Sep 18, 2012
- Sensex down 67.17 points in the afternoon trade - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: asian stocks, auto stocks, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, cap index, deep cuts, hdfc, market breadth, midcap index, national stock exchange, ntpc, ongc, points realty, sectoral indices, sensitive index, sun pharma, telecom stocks, top gainers, top losers