Sensex pares losses, ends 26 points down (Roundup)August 3rd, 2012 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 3 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Friday closed 26 points down, recouping losses made early in the day. Metal, auto and banking stocks were the worst performers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,164.48 points, closed 17,197.93 points, 0.15 percent or 26.43 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,224.36 points.
The BSE metal index was down 170.39 points, followed by auto index, down 75.45 points, and banking index, down 73.81 points.
The index had touched an intra-day low of 17,026.97.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.25 percent down at 5,214.50 points.
The main Sensex losers were Sterlite Inds, down 2.62 percent at Rs.102.05; Tata Steel, down 2.20 percent at Rs.396.95; Hindalco Inds, down 2.06 percent at Rs.116.70; ICICI Bank, down 1.98 percent at Rs.939.70; and Jindal Steel, down 1.91 percent at Rs.396.45.
The major Sensex gainers were Wipro, up 2.04 percent at Rs.347; NTPC, up 1.84 percent at Rs.166.30; Dr Reddy’s Lab, up 1.62 percent at Rs.1,672.05; ONGC, up 1.34 percent at Rs.280.45; and Gail India, up 1.29 percent at Rs.356.75.
Other Asian markets closed mixed. Japan’s Nikkei closed 1.13 percent down, while the Shanghai composite index ended 1.02 percent up. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down 0.12 percent.
At closing bell here, European markets were trading in green after Thursday’s sell-off. France’s CAC was up 2.32 percent while Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were trading higher, up 2.03 and 1.34 percent, respectively.
- Sensex snaps 3-week losing streak; up 359 points (Weekly market review) - Aug 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 66 points down on weak European cues (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points down (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 44 points down (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex rises over 100 points, oil and gas, banking stocks up (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 194 points up; IT, power stocks rise (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Rupee weighs on market, Sensex closes 156 points lower (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 194 points up, IT, power stocks rise (Roundup) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex rises 41 points; health care, FMCG stocks up - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on derivatives expiry, weak European cues (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex ends 72 points down; metal, consumer durable stocks fall (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex closes in red, consumer durable, realty stocks down (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex remains choppy; ICICI Bank, M&M; rally - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: asian markets, auto index, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, closing bell, dr reddy, european markets, ftse 100, hang seng, inds, jindal, metal index, national stock exchange, ntpc, ongc, rs 1, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, tata steel