Sensex on the rise, up nearly 120 pointsJune 25th, 2009 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 25 (IANS) Indian equities markets were trading volatile a little after Thursday noon, with a key index ruling about 120 points above its last closing figure.
Around 12.45 p.m., the benchmark index of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), the Sensex, which opened higher at 14,476.15 points was ruling at 14,542.71 points, 119.98 points or 0.77 percent above Wednesday’s close.
Around the same time, the S&P CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) was ruling in the green, 0.5 percent up at 4,314.5 points.
Companies with lower market capitalisation were doing better, with the BSE midcap index trading 1.39 percent higher and the BSE smallcap index moving up 1.5 percent.
Thanks to buying interest in such smaller market cap companies, the market breadth was quite positive: 1,617 stocks advanced and 747 declined. Eighty-four remained unchanged.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE, those for realty, banking and technology scrips were ruling at the top, while auto, energy, and FMCG stocks came under selling pressure.
Among gainers on the Sensex at this time were Grasim, up 2.75 percent at Rs.2,386.05; Jaiprakash Associates, up 2.67 percent at Rs.219.10; Hindalco, up 2.63 percent at Rs.86; and Reliance Communications, up 2.62 percent at Rs.309.40.
Losers included Tata Motors, down 3.32 percent at Rs.345.15; M&M, down 2.75 percent at Rs.704; ONGC, down 2.24 percent at Rs.1,027.50; and Maruti Suzuki, down 1.7 percent at Rs.1,041.80.
Other Asian markets were also in the green, with the Nikkei 225 Stock Average, a key index of the Tokyo stock exchange, ending Thursday’s trade 205.76 points up at 9,796.08 points.
The Hang Seng, a primary index of the Hong Kong stock exchange, was similarly up and ruling at 18,237.79 points, an increase of 345.64 points over its previous close.
US markets Wednesday ended mixed with the Dow Jones industrial average dropping 23.05 points or 0.28 percent to end at 8,299.86, while the Standard and Poor’s 500 Index was up 5.84 points or 0.65 percent at 900.94.
The technology scrip-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index also rose, moving up 27.42 points or 1.55 percent to 1,792.34.
- Sensex rises 196 points, oil and gas, auto stocks up (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 117 points down (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Telecom scrips push Sensex higher - Feb 02, 2012
- Sensex declines 31 points, realty, capital goods stocks down - Jul 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 22 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex falls below 17,000 points (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; metal, healthcare stocks gain (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; banking, metal stocks up - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 52 points health care, FMCG stocks up (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex down 79 points; consumer durables, auto scrips fall - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: bombay stock exchange, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, fmcg stocks, hindalco, hong kong stock, hong kong stock exchange, index trading, kong stock exchange, market breadth, market cap companies, market capitalisation, maruti suzuki, national stock exchange, nikkei 225, sectoral indices, smallcap index, stock average, tata motors, tokyo stock exchange