Sensex marginally down in afternoon trade (Lead)May 9th, 2012 - 4:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 9 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets was trading 0.07 percent down around 2 p.m. Wednesday, led by selling pressure in bank, metals, oil and gas and auto stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in red at 16,436.41 points, was ruling at 16,533.80 points at 2 a.m., down by 0.07 percent or 12.38 points from its previous close of 16,546.18 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,615.74 points and a low of 16,436.41 points in the intra-day. The Sensex midcap was down by 30.53 points and smallcap fell by 42.57 points.
There was heavy selling pressure in bank, metals, oil and gas and auto stocks.
The BSE bank index was down by 163.74 points followed by metals index, which was down by 139.78 points, oil and gas index down by 92 points and auto index down by 60.69 points.
Major Sensex losers included State Bank of India (SBI), down 3.04 percent at Rs.1,899.30, DLF, down 3.03 percent at Rs.184.30, NTPC, down 2.31 percent at Rs.152.40, Coal India, down 2.27 percent at Rs.327.30 and Sterlite Inds, down 2.22 percent at Rs.96.80.
Major Sensex gainers included nine companies, which are part of the 30-scrip sensitive Sensex. The major gainers included ITC, up 5.54 percent at Rs.239.90, TCS, up 2.39 percent at Rs.1,229, Hindaclo Inds, up 2.21 percent at Rs.120, Hindustan Uniliver, up 0.68 percent at Rs.434 and L&T;, up 0.66 percent at Rs.1,166.10.
- Sensex up 11 points in noon trade - May 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 67 points down as bearish mood prevails (Roundup) - May 09, 2012
- Sensex down 31.93 points (Lead, correcting figures in Paras 1 and 2) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex tanks 324 points in noon trade - May 16, 2012
- Sensex down 146.58 points during noon trade - May 11, 2012
- Sensex falls 193.40 points, banking stocks slump (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes in green on first session of 2012 (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 35 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex up 222.60 points in noon trade - May 24, 2012
- Sensex climbs 119 points; SBI, RIL rally (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex down 37.45 points, capital goods, power scrips fall - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, auto index, auto stocks, bank index, bank of india, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, coal india, dlf, gas index, inds, metals index, midcap, nine companies, ntpc, rs 120, sensitive index, state bank of india, sterlite, uniliver