Sensex jumps 304 points ahead of RBI policy review (Lead)July 30th, 2012 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 30 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets rallied nearly two percent Monday, the biggest gain in almost a month, led by strong buying support in interest rate sensitive banking, realty, auto and capital goods stocks, ahead of monetary policy review by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the positive at 16,919.14 points, ended the day at 17,143.68 points, up 1.81 percent or 304.49 from its previous close at 16,839.19 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange jumped 1.96 percent or 99.95 points at 5,199.80 points.
There was a strong buying support in interest rate sensitive banking, realty, auto and capital goods stocks.
Banking index of the BSE rallied 2.67 percent at 11,943.42 points. Power index jumped 3.58 percent at 1,900.67 points. Capital goods index grew 3 percent, realty index rallied 3.13 percent and auto index gained 2.26 percent.
The country’s largest lender State Bank of India surged 4.63 percent at Rs.2,031.05. ICICI Bank jumped 3.89 percent at Rs.964.30.
Tata Motors, up 4.16 percent at Rs.221.65; Tata Power, up 4.12 percent at Rs.98.50; BHEL, up 3.82 percent at Rs.216.20; and L&T;, up 3.38 percent at Rs.1,364.55, were among the major Sensex gainers in percentage term.
Of the 30 Sensex scrips, only three closed in the red. ONGC, down 0.31 percent at Rs.276.55; Hindustan Unilever, down 0.02 percent at Rs.464.60; and Wipro, down 0.01 percent at Rs.334.20, were the Sensex losers.
The Reserve Bank of India is scheduled to announce first quarter review of the monetary policy Tuesday.
While, some analysts are betting on 25 basis points (0.25 percent) cut in key policy rates, a majority of them feel that the central bank was not in a position to cut rates given the current macro-economic situation.
In the mid-quarter review announced last month, the RBI had left key policy rates unchanged after cutting the rates by 50 basis points in April.
- Sensex rallies 250 points ahead of RBI policy review - Jul 30, 2012
- Sensex falls on global economic growth worries - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex gains 272 points on rate cut hope, global cues (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Sensex rallies 175 points on rate cut hopes - Jun 07, 2012
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex bounces back on rate cut hopes (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Sensex slips after touching 18,000 points - Mar 14, 2012
- Sensex rebounds on rupee recovery (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sensex rises 154 points; auto, tech stocks climb - Oct 24, 2011
- Sensex rises for the second day, up 188 points (Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Sensex soars 6 percent on positive global cues (Weekly market review) - Oct 29, 2011
- Sensex closes 180 points higher (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Sensex surges 434 points on rate cut and policy push hopes (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Sensex drops 162.32 points as RBI rate cut hope fades away - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 141 points down; realty, metal stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: auto index, bank of india, basis points, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, economic situation, hindustan, mid quarter, national stock exchange, ongc, power index, reserve bank of india, rs 2, sensitive index, state bank of india, tata motors, tata power, wipro