Sensex in red, realty, banking under sellingMarch 26th, 2012 - 2:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 26 (IANS) Indian equities markets were trading in the red Monday noon with realty, banking and power stocks under selling pressure amid weak cues from other Asian bourses.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,377.59 points, was ruling at 17,128.92 points around 12.20 p.m., down 232.82 points or 1.34 percent compared to its previous close at 17,361.74 points.
The Sensex had closed lower Friday, logging its fifth consecutive weekly loss.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also was trading lower at 5,214.55 points, down 63.65 points or 1.21 percent from its previous close.
Broader markets were quiet too with the BSE 500 index trading 1.19 percent down. The BSE midcap index was ruling 0.92 percent lower, while the BSE small cap index were trading 0.86 percent down.
The market breadth was negative with 839 stocks advancing, 1,705 on the decline and 111 remaining unchanged.
Asian markets were sombre as traders considered the chances of a global economic slowdown. Data from China and Europe last week had pointed to a slump in their respective economies.
The Japanese Nikkei index closed flat at 10,018.24 points.
Hong Kong’s index was also ruling on a quiet note at 20,651.72 points, while the Chinese Shanghai Composite index was trading 0.36 percent lower at 2,340.99 points.
- Sensex slips to two-month low over tax issues (Roundup) - Mar 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 323 points lower (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Sensex recovers, closes 165 points up on value buying (Roundup) - Mar 23, 2012
- Sensex plunges 277 points on weak global cues (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sensex ends 56 points down ahead of F&O; expiry (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Fifth straight weekly loss for Sensex (Weekly Market Review) - Mar 24, 2012
- Sensex ruling moderately higher as rate cut hopes fade - Mar 12, 2012
- Sensex quiet in morning trade - Jan 04, 2012
- Sensex tanks 120 points, metal, capital goods stocks down - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex ruling lower, IT, telecom drag broader markets - Jun 17, 2011
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Indian stock markets begin 2012 on negative note - Jan 02, 2012
- Sensex continues to trade lacklustre, RIL soars (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex rises 285 points, snaps four-day fall (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: asian bourses, asian markets, bombay stock exchange, bse, cap index, cues, decline, global economic slowdown, hong kong, index trading, market breadth, midcap index, national stock exchange, nikkei index, power stocks, sensex, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, slump, small cap